Additional input front lunchbox locker (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads

I tried to grab as much info as possible from this thread, a real s*** show, bickering back and forth and a lot of people not know that they're talking about. No mention in here about a spool and locking front hubs to install a front lunchbox locker into an 80 series. That's the info I am looking for any input out there?

How do you plan on using this? Street driven mixed with Offroading? All Offroading?
Mostly offroad but I do like to drive it camping also. I figured I would do the spool to make it 2wd, I have the rear locked already. Then when crawling doing the locking front hubs with a front lunchbox in 4 low.

Personally I would never run an auto locker in the front of any vehicle.

Could work but would probably be terrible in the snow if you might drive it that way.

Mostly offroad but I do like to drive it camping also. I figured I would do the spool to make it 2wd, I have the rear locked already. Then when crawling doing the locking front hubs with a front lunchbox in 4 low.
So you're planning to convert to part time with locking hubs and install a lunchbox in the front? Not understanding why you're talking "spool". You understand that "spool" and "Lunchbox" are not the same thing?

So you're planning to convert to part time with locking hubs and install a lunchbox in the front? Not understanding why you're talking "spool". You understand that "spool" and "Lunchbox" are not the same thing?
Spool in the tcase is what he's referring to. That's what replaces the VC in the case.

Personally I would never run an auto locker in the front of any vehicle.
I've ran them in every 4wd I've ever owned till I got an 80. I see nothing wrong w/ them. Hydo assist and you'll never know its there.

@ajordan1975 explained what you meant. As long as you don't try driving it on slick streets or highways with the hubs locked, your configuration should be tolerable.

Last edited:
One issue with an actual "locker" in the front is that both front wheels turn exactly the same speed. This makes turning on slick surfaces (mud, wet, snow) EXTREMELY difficult because you don't get rotation differences allowed at the tires.

An LSD would be better in the front to allow better steering. However, on slick surfaces, they still tend to be difficult to steer because of the speed / rotational bias.

I have owned and driven a truck with an LSD in front and I have decided that when I do it again, I will do a selectable locker in the front in order to allow turning more efficiently and with less hassle and strain on the drive line. An autolocker will be difficult on dry, sticky terrain, and risk of breaking things is high.

I’d recommend against that. It’s cheap, and will work fine, not great. There’s definitely better options. If you’re going to keep it for a long time, invest in the gear that will make you the happiest long term

Seems to be slightly turning into the thread I referenced. I have a couple friends with it done in an XJ. With hubs unlocked its 2wd on the road, locked hubs 4H with the center diff locked puts it in 4H. The issue I have with ARB and E lockers is the quality has gone down over the years. I already have the locker a friend isn't using. Id prefer something that wont fail so easily and when it does is a few hundred to fix as opposed to thousands to replace like a selectable. People are either all for it or against it like most things on this forum. I will give it a shot and see how it goes. 2wd hopefully improves drivability mileage and front end ware daily on dry roads as well. Thanks all

T case spool from Marlin, goes well with my low range T case gears as well they claim

Seems to be slightly turning into the thread I referenced. I have a couple friends with it done in an XJ. With hubs unlocked its 2wd on the road, locked hubs 4H with the center diff locked puts it in 4H. The issue I have with ARB and E lockers is the quality has gone down over the years. I already have the locker a friend isn't using. Id prefer something that wont fail so easily and when it does is a few hundred to fix as opposed to thousands to replace like a selectable. People are either all for it or against it like most things on this forum. I will give it a shot and see how it goes. 2wd hopefully improves drivability mileage and front end ware daily on dry roads as well. Thanks all
I think there’s just better options than the one you’re presenting. It’s not inherently bad, just bad compared to the competition. I definitely wouldn’t worry about breaking an arb either.

I have a part time kit and don’t really recommend it to people. It’s annoying having to lock/unlock the hubs on road trips in the snow. Also, I didn’t notice any mileage difference. Really the only upside to the part time kit is that it keeps the rcvs alive longer

I think there’s just better options than the one you’re presenting. It’s not inherently bad, just bad compared to the competition. I definitely wouldn’t worry about breaking an arb either.

I have a part time kit and don’t really recommend it to people. It’s annoying having to lock/unlock the hubs on road trips in the snow. Also, I didn’t notice any mileage difference. Really the only upside to the part time kit is that it keeps the rcvs alive longer

Being in 2wd in snow doesn't bother me on pavement. And I don't really drive it too much in the snow anyway unless its full off-road. The ARB according to more than one of my wheelin buddies are really going downhill in quality. Air compressor's under a hot hood isn't great in the summer. If the compressor craps out thats pricey. Ill be into it 500 bucks for a spool and locking hubs. It does seem to make more sense for something you dont daily drive. Worst case I want to upgrade moving forward. If ARB or an E locker are my only other options I would rather try this first. There are just more things that can go wrong on a selectable. I guess we have a difference of opinion I appreciate the input. I will update this thread down the road so I can help others make this decision I see alot of interest in using mechanicals in the front not only for budget but for simplicity .

Being in 2wd in snow doesn't bother me on pavement. And I don't really drive it too much in the snow anyway unless its full off-road. The ARB according to more than one of my wheelin buddies are really going downhill in quality. Air compressor's under a hot hood isn't great in the summer. If the compressor craps out thats pricey. Ill be into it 500 bucks for a spool and locking hubs. It does seem to make more sense for something you dont daily drive. Worst case I want to upgrade moving forward. If ARB or an E locker are my only other options I would rather try this first. There are just more things that can go wrong on a selectable. I guess we have a difference of opinion I appreciate the input. I will update this thread down the road so I can help others make this decision I see alot of interest in using mechanicals in the front not only for budget but for simplicity .
Sounds good🤷🏻‍♀️

F all the haters! I see nothing wrong w/ full tile lockers.

I've run lunch box lockers front/rear, Detroit's F/R (Heeps) with my large group of friends running the same. When I went to selectable, the only advantage was being able to turn off/on the front for a tighter turn and a bit better street manners. I see no reason why you shouldn't run them. Make sure you replace any worn parts your reusing. Worst case is you don't like it and do something else.

My trail rig FJ40 has "lunch box" lockers in both axles. It gets driven on the highway 100+ miles to get to the trailhead, no issues.

If your 80 has a part-time kit in the t-case than no problem. Note that steering off-road will be affected, not as tight as with an open front diff.

Not an issue... lunchbox will unlock when your off the gas anyways, selectables dont do this, but of course you can just turn off the selectable anytime you want, or just do this by letting off the gas with the lunchbox
detroits will take more abuse than a lunchbox/aussie though, but cost more to install

if you're not a total neanderthal about it, highway and snow driving it are just fine (from experience), just dont let inexperienced people jump in it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom