Additional 110/120 V Outlet In Front of Vehicle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone added an additional 110/120 v outlet in the front of the vehicle. We're just using it to charge laptops/phones so we don't need a new inverter, just a second outlet so we don't have to dive over the back seat :)

Has anyone added an additional 110/120 v outlet in the front of the vehicle. We're just using it to charge laptops/phones so we don't need a new inverter, just a second outlet so we don't have to dive over the back seat :)
If that’s all you need to power in front…laptop, or similar…

You can use even a simple 12v outlet based inverter ($35 at home depot), that’s more then enough juice to run a laptop off of its outlet with a laptop’s power adapter.

I used to do that all the time before I had my big inverter in back…even in little economy cars.

So your saying the OEM inverter isn't a nice $1000 pure sine wave inverter? :) Where is it?

So your saying the OEM inverter isn't a nice $1000 pure sine wave inverter? :) Where is it?

Ha. No. :)Its not.

Not sure what you mean ny where is it. If you mean the ORM one internally, I think it sits right behind that panel in back.

Only otber thot is… If you want a quickie access tothe front short term with laptop adapters not above 100 watts, you could also just run a short extension cord from the rear OEM plug to the front for things like that. Once its AC and not DC, a little extension cord is fine. I run a number of small things off the OEM one all the time still…because it comes on with the truck unlike my big inverter.

Yes backup plan is an extension cord. Just can't bring myself to do it.

Why not get a 12v charger for the laptop?
Why would you want to go from DC to AC back to DC, because your laptop and phone both use DC.
I couldn't plug in my laptop into that mess, I won't even plug it into the inverter in the back of the LC.
Lots of other better options out there.

True... we use the 5v DC USB a lot (although it's super low wattage). I suppose we could get some adapters (USB to USB-C etc) and DC chargers.

Why not get a 12v charger for the laptop?
Why would you want to go from DC to AC back to DC, because your laptop and phone both use DC.
I couldn't plug in my laptop into that mess, I won't even plug it into the inverter in the back of the LC.
Lots of other better options out there.

K, but the whole reason Toyota put that outlet back there is for things like laptops.

There’s no huge downside for these low-power uses. If you have a laptop adapter already and it less than or up to 100W…plug it in. Done.

Or don’t… ;)

K, but the whole reason Toyota put that outlet back there is for things like laptops.

There’s no huge downside for these low-power uses. If you have a laptop adapter already and it less than or up to 100W…plug it in. Done.

Or don’t… ;)
Other than it being a modified sine wave and not a pure sine wave inverter, still not plugging my $2k laptop in it, you do you though.

100 W is NOT enough to charge my laptop.
and the built in USB was not powerful enough for Qi charging my iphone. ( i was driving around using waze on my phone, and at the end of a trip the phone was almost discharged, even though it was plugged into the LX USB port)
I use these products, and have no issues.

Amazon product ASIN B07GZ78R6D
Amazon product ASIN B012E9H1S8
technically the triplite inverter should go direct to the battery, but i found it worked fine off a cigarette lighter outlet for charging my laptop

Other than it being a modified sine wave and not a pure sine wave inverter, still not plugging my $2k laptop in it, you do you though.
G
The laptop ac adapter rectifies the alternating current down to DC. I have zero concerns plugging mine in there, and have done it several times.

and the built in USB was not powerful enough for Qi charging my iphone. ( i was driving around using waze on my phone, and at the end of a trip the phone was almost discharged, even though it was plugged into the LX USB port)

technically the triplite inverter should go direct to the battery, but i found it worked fine off a cigarette lighter outlet for charging my laptop

Ya. USBs come in a massive array of amp/watt output for sure. I have a zillion USB add ons in my truck (a zillion is just barrly excavrraging) ranging from 2.1A up to much high power USB-C and also full-power-capable Qi levels.

The cool thing about these 12v sockets is how easy they are to replace as new connector types come along.

Here’s one of many examples in my 200. I no longer have the 12v outlet…replaced with a double USB and a USB-C…but lots of possibilities…

CE8D893D-DB26-458F-8F59-1090CC0E6C1D.jpeg
77ED0FB1-33FB-49E5-94B7-C3182DADA399.jpeg

My 2nd row door example is tricky, but in other panels, a hole and wires to the front are easy for various hogher power USB types.

You do not need a pure sine wave inverter for laptop adapters. I managed several thousand high end laptops at my old job. The adapters don’t care.

Microwave? Yup. Pure Sine wave or no go. I run one off my big pure sine wave inverter in my 200. But laptop power adapters flat out do not require that.

Last edited:

How many watts does your laptop power supply draw?

I’m not sure if the inverters get out of spec as they age, or more likely the auto circuit breaker does, but mine trips on my laptop brick (although it’s bigger than 100w). It also trips on my 80w brick for my IceCo fridge. I have plugged both of these devices into my EcoFlow battery pack, and supposedly they don’t draw more than 65W generally.

I’m not sure if the inverters get out of spec as they age, or more likely the auto circuit breaker does, but mine trips on my laptop brick (although it’s bigger than 100w). It also trips on my 80w brick for my IceCo fridge. I have plugged both of these devices into my EcoFlow battery pack, and supposedly they don’t draw more than 65W generally.

Sounds like the fridge surges, but I wouldn’t run a fridge offlf the built in inverter. Don’t know yours, but most travel fridges are set up for 12V too & thats where running wires to a rear connector makes sense…

I have not had time to run wires to the rear but ran my smaller Norcold 45 quart fridge off the rear inverter without issue. That is other than it turning off with the ignition.

Sounds like the fridge surges, but I wouldn’t run a fridge offlf the built in inverter. Don’t know yours, but most travel fridges are set up for 12V too & thats where running wires to a rear connector makes sense…
My fridge is 12V but it came with an AC/DC brick. I’m not necessarily worried about it, just providing data points. I’ve got the EcoFlow now for my “house“ battery needs.

You do not need a pure sine wave inverter for laptop adapters. I managed several thousand high end laptops at my old job. The adapters don’t care.

Microwave? Yup. Pure Sine wave or no go. I run one off my big pure sine wave inverter in my 200. But laptop power adapters flat out do not require that.
I was thinking the same thing. The adapter can take "dirty" AC and still make clean DC, easy peasy. In fact, you could argue that's the best use for an inverter.

I was thinking the same thing. The adapter can take "dirty" AC and still make clean DC, easy peasy. In fact, you could argue that's the best use for an inverter.
In my case the best place for my inverter is on the shelf in my barn. :hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom