Addition Rear AC in the 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
With the summer just around the corner, I'm starting to think about the lack of performance of the AC in the 80. While the vent temperature of my 80 is within spec, it does not have enought air flow to keep the middle and rear passengers cool in the Texas heat.

Short of adding a bunch of fans to the interior of the 80, has anyone successfully retrofitted the non-US/NA market rear AC unit? How about the aftermarket units? I know that www.vintageair.com is known for their after AC kits. I did recall seeing a roof mounted evporator that might be adaptable for the rear of the 80.

John

John,

I'm in the process of trying to get information on the Japanese rear AC unit.

I have started doing so by first getting the FSM two weeks ago and the parts catalogue (last week).

I have also asked a Toyota part dealer guy to assist me in getting as much info. as possible, including interchangeability (spelling) between the unit from the pre-'93 and post '93 and their prices.

I do not have a very good command of the parts cagalogue, but the brief check did not show the prices of different components listed. I don't know if that means that they are no longer avaialbe, or what. I also want to check if the rear AC units in the current model (post '99) are similar enough.

My last resort (at least here) is to get parts from wrecked wagon (FZJ) models with rear AC unit. Depending on the components costs, it might be cheaper to buy a totalled one and get all the necessary parts from it and selling what I don't need. The guy I thought about buying 1HD-T engine from a while ago also offered his FZJ rear AC unit for me to take out if I were interested. I can see if he's still interested and make him a reasonable offer. But all of his wrecked Cruisers were spider infested and I don't like bugs. Maybe it's still cool enough that spiders are not overly active. ;)

I will also try to bug the parts guy since he said that he would get back to me this(last) week and he hasn't.

Anyway, I'm afraid I'm not moving very fast in my quest for rear AC. :(
I'll try to let you know when/if I find out more (useful) information.

IN the mean time, let us know if you find out about aftermarket units.

mot

I haven't checked recently but Spector Off Road had the rear AC/center console refrigerators available for about $1200. A bit costly and that doesn't include trying to ship the refrigerant lines. The best thing that can be done is to tint the windows to the darkest level you can get away with. I have the front side windows tinted to a medium and the rear sides and hatch to the darkest available. I’ve never been hassled because in comparison the fronts look stock. It makes a world of difference in inside temperatures.

dont the 40th's have the rear air? i thought i saw them in that post about the reclining middle seats. i dont remeber exactly who it wa that posted pics but i do remeber commenting on rear air vents. also what do you think about the 100 series vents fitting in the 80?

mike

80 and 100 rear AC are not the same and I doubt they will interchange. pretty sure the 80's(I think 62's were similar) uses clear tubes that run up the side(behind the 2nd row seats) for the ducting, not sure if there is a seperate AC unit or if it all runs off the underhood stuff. The 100 has the unit built into the roof.

NO US 80 series had rear AC, not even 40th ANV.

Thanks everyone for the info on the rear AC.

Mot: I'll be in Tokyo next week. Where are you located in Japan? Perhaps we can meet up for a drink + chat. I'm definitely interested in the rear AC parts if you can help me get them at a reasonable price. I'm also looking for the middle row tilt seatback hinges if I can buy them in/near Tokyo during my trip.

Phil: Thanks for the SOR tip and the cost of it (eeks!). I wil have to think about $1200 for a used rear AC units that requires custom wiring. I have a LX450 so the rear windows are already tinted from the factory. I'll get the front windows tinted to see if it helps.

Ron: Thanks for the link to the old rear AC thread.

Landpimp: I wonder if the 80 can take the 100 rear AC unit? There is plenty of overhead space for the evaporator unit in the and I can get my friend to make a plastic cover to fit over it all and look "nice".

I'm going to have think abou the control system for the rear AC.

John

[quote author=lx450landcruiser link=board=2;threadid=12687;start=msg116776#msg116776 date=1078686233]
dont the 40th's have the rear air? i thought i saw them in that post about the reclining middle seats. i dont remeber exactly who it wa that posted pics but i do remeber commenting on rear air vents. also what do you think about the 100 series vents fitting in the 80?

mike
[/quote]

haha -- the 40ths don't have rear air -- i first read that at "40s" -- thinking their rear ac is through the rust-holes in the wheelwells --

:)

e

John,

That'll be cool if we can get hooked up.

I am located in Hamamatsu, located between Tokyo and Nagoya (close to 2hrs on Shinkansen to Hamamatsu station). If you can make it out here I would be happy to come and pick you up. I'll treat you to a good ramen restaurant (hard imagine a ramen "restaurant" I'm sure to most Americans, but...) or a rotary sushi restaurant. ;)

My sister-in-law will be visiting from Utah this Friday and will be here for 2 weeks. She'll be flying into/out of Narita. There is a good chance we'll be spending some of our time in Tokyo during her stay here.

I've just picked up the 2nd row recline hinges (used) on Yahoo auction and would be willing to part with them if you are interested. Or I could get them ordered for you through Shuei (no affiliation, I'm sure you knew, but...) so you can get them in a timely manner (but no cheap: close to 19,000 yen, I think). International shipping on this item would be somewhat cost prohibitive since it's(they) are not the lightest things. Let me know. There is also one on Yahoo as we speak, if you want me to bid on it (ends in about 30hrs.):

http://page4.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/d45265074

Also I have a pair of electronically-folding mirrors and the switch (I've got too many stuff I'll have to take back to the US) if you want to try them out on your vehicle. You can take them (if you have room in your luggage) and see if they work. If they work, grear! And you can pay me what I paid for for being a guinea (spelling) pig. If they don't, you can either keep them as spare or get rid of them. I have 2 of them and would not want to take both of them back. If they don't, I'll auction off mine here. Sorry if you are not interested.

Anyway, let me know if I can help you.

mot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom