Adding Wheel Spacers - a different perspective (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Reading thru this I see quite a few stating that you torqued the Spidertrax to 97ft/lbs as you would the wheels. The instructions that came with the spacers for me stated to torque to 130 and after driving make sure they were around 120... which I did... Now I'm a bit concerned.

This was one thing I was wondering about. Not just the larger tires, but moreso because of a lift. From my brief look into it, yes the larger diameter tire "wants" for it to be pushed out a little to compensate, but then lifting the truck really changes the angles and wants it out even further.
I own an LX, so I don't have to worry about that. ;)

Not 100% sure how a lift would change the scrub radius other than altering the SAI, but if your lift is done right, they should bring the SAI back into spec. A lift's effect of sucking in your wheels a bit, and making for a narrower track width, is cosmetic. Only way I know of to address that without getting too far away from stock scrub is the Tundra IFS conversion. But since you're probably doing the lift to fit larger tires anyway, it's a moot point.

So yes, spacers or wheels with a lower offset will push them back out, but again, it's the tire diameter and SAI that are going to determine your scrub radius.

Reading thru this I see quite a few stating that you torqued the Spidertrax to 97ft/lbs as you would the wheels. The instructions that came with the spacers for me stated to torque to 130 and after driving make sure they were around 120... which I did... Now I'm a bit concerned.

I went 130ft/lbs as well, and check at 120 whenever I have the wheels off.

Spidertrax specifies the lower values. Was nowhere near as high as 120 or 130. What brand are you using?

Spidertrax specifies the lower values. Was nowhere near as high as 120 or 130. What brand are you using?
Spidertrax. They must've changed their notes from when some of you guys did them at first. I ordered/added mine I'm February. As Radman above added a thread showing pictures of the notes. Here's that thread just to make it easier. LX570 Spidertrax Wheel Spacer Install
Also Gaijin posted a link to the spidertrax steps.

@gaijin does that mean me and others that followed those steps have torqued too high? I assumed that was correct because the metal they used required that much force to keep em tight or something along those lines..

Spidertrax. They must've changed their notes from when some of you guys did them at first. I ordered/added mine I'm February. As Radman above added a thread showing pictures of the notes. Here's that thread just to make it easier. LX570 Spidertrax Wheel Spacer Install
Also Gaijin posted a link to the spidertrax steps.

@gaijin does that mean me and others that followed those steps have torqued too high? I assumed that was correct because the metal they used required that much force to keep em tight or something along those lines..

FWIW, my understanding is that the Spidertrax spacers should be attached to the rotor using the supplied thread locker and torqued to 130 ft-lb - just as stated in the Spidertrax instructions. Of course, the wheels should then be attached to the spacers using no lubrication (dry) and torqued to 97 ft-lb - just as specified in our Owner's Manuals.

HTH

Well... it appears that Spidertrax do indeed recommend installing their spacers torqued to 130. See Spidertrax poop sheet here: Wheel Spacer/Adapter Kit Instructions (For M14 Wheel Studs)

Just sayin'

HTH

If so then it appears they must have changed that since I installed mine....since my instructions said otherwise. Maybe they decided to play it safe knowing their bolts could take the added torque...
Or... My memory is just failing.

Last edited:
If so then it appears they must have changed that since I installed mine....since my instructions said otherwise. Maybe they decided to play it safe knowing their bolts could take the added torque...

I'm sure any one of your suggestions could be the case. All I can do is go by currently published info from the two manufacturers involved - Toyota and Spidertrax.

And in an attempt to put a smile on your face... "their bolts" have nothing to do with it, it's their nuts that have to maintain the 130 ft-lb specified torque :cheers:

HTH

I'm sure any one of your suggestions could be the case. All I can do is go by currently published info from the two manufacturers involved - Toyota and Spidertrax.

And in an attempt to put a smile on your face... "their bolts" have nothing to do with it, it's their nuts that have to maintain the 130 ft-lb specified torque :cheers:

HTH

OK... but wouldn’t you say that nuts don’t usually break with too much torque. Usually bolts tend to be what break with too much torque. Talking about the bolts built into the spacer.

There have been a few threads I have seen people mention torquing the Spidertrax to 97ft/lbs like you did. You're not alone on that. I can't remember which threads I saw those posts in, however if memory serves me correctly it was all members that did this years ago. While some of the more recent people have seen the 130, wondering which year they changed the number in there notes that they provide now...

OK... but wouldn’t you say that nuts don’t usually break with too much torque. Usually bolts tend to be what break with too much torque. Talking about the bolts built into the spacer.

And... the bolts built into the spacer should be torqued to 97 ft-lb, so the 130 ft-lb spec has no relevance to the bolts in the spacer. Or am I missing something? 🤷‍♂️

HTH

There have been a few threads I have seen people mention torquing the Spidertrax to 97ft/lbs like you did. You're not alone on that. I can't remember which threads I saw those posts in, however if memory serves me correctly it was all members that did this years ago. While some of the more recent people have seen the 130, wondering which year they changed the number in there notes that they provide now...
And... the bolts built into the spacer should be torqued to 97 ft-lb, so the 130 ft-lb spec has no relevance to the bolts in the spacer. Or am I missing something? 🤷‍♂️

HTH

You never miss, Gaijin. :)
Reading is a chore for me for reasons I won’t belabor... so surely I missed the specificity of other figure. But anyway...it doesn’t much matter as I agree that going with instructions published by the company is always the best choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom