1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding Lights question...fj40

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Don in Va, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Don in Va

Don in Va

Hey guys...(and girls)

I am adding lights to my cruiser (78' FJ40) and wanted some input. I am currently running a stock alternator and 850 cc amp battery(single)...

I have just ordered the Hella H-4 55/60 headlights which I have heard is a good stock replacement for headlights. But I would like to add 2 bumper (round driving) lights and 4 (2 Hella 1000 and 2 Hella 700) lights across the roof rack. What do I need to do to make sure I can power all of this with out overdoing the electrical system. I would like not to have to buy a $350 alternator if I don't have to.

Thanks for any advice....

Don

2. TJDIV

TJDIV Back in The U.P.

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm seeing a definite need for an alternator. Hell, the lights aren't cheap, so you might as well get the most out of them. Run them on the alt. you have now til it dies...which probably wouldn't be too far down the road.

I've used capacitors before; 1F caps, but wouldn't recommend them on your lights. Better for stereo equip.

Post some pics when you get it wired and lit.

IV

3. Rice

Rice SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Don,
    All those at once will put a lot on your system. May be time for a GM alternator. Still, with some home made brackets and a rebuilt alternator you don't have to drop a lot of money. If my memory is correct the stock 40 alternator only delivers 37 or so amps. You can do the math from there. Capacitors will not help ... they are good for delivering a small burst of electricity on demand (stereo's) but are no good for a continuous drain (lights).

4. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    The stock wiring for the lights, esp headlights, is a limiting factor, too. I agree about the bigger alternator, but you should probably introduce another fused circuit as well.

5. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    do the math on what you want to run, add up all the lights wattage, then divide by 12.6 to get the amps they will draw. In reality you will not have them all on at once. But also factor in the heater running, wipers, radio, ect.

stock alt in a 77 is prolly 40 amp.

6. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    I run all of mine from time to time....10 IPF aux lamps, and the IPF 145Wx2 high beam head lamp replacements...Yes, I have light. Also have a 175 Amp Delco/premier power welder alt. I would go with a Delco replacement, wound for at least 125A. There is a company that makes an outer alt. housing that mimics the Toyota unit, but takes the delco guts. Simply swap your pulley, wire up, and you are done. I have installed these on a couple Land Cruiser 2F engines here in MN. I picked these up from a place callled A&B auto electric in Savage, MN. Great people, quality products, and awsome service.

I installed a seperate 200 amp service on the pass side for anything extra.(Radio, CB, ARB, lights, etc.) Purchased everything that I needed to do this through Waytek. Since doing this, I have done it to another 40 with similar electrical demands. Makes things really nice and clean.

http://www.waytekwire.com/

Good luck!

-Steve

7. Degnol

Degnol

Media:
    Albums:
    I took my late '74 alt to a local shop and had him evaluate it for output. I really wanted to go GM 100 amp. He SAID it was putting out 58-60 amps. Now maybe he is LAZY, and that is a possibility, but after looking at my electrical system, he said unless I'm adding a bunch of stuff, I'm currently good. He did replace the voltage regulator with an electronic one. Guess what...the ammeter still bounces when I turn anything on. 'Cept the wife...no bounce.
    Ed