Builds Adding an FJ60 to the family - Bleu (Sold as of 6/2020) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SkiLyft

Likely thinking about skiing
SILVER Star
Threads
Hey all -

Current owner of a 100 series and super excited to be posting in the 60’s section!

It’s been a dream of mine to own a FJ60 and frankly I did not think it would happen so soon.

Anyways here’s the story.

A good friend of mine just bought into a cruiser shop in north Idaho called “The Land Cruiser Shop” (used to be called Cabinate Cruisers). Making a long-story-short Joe the old owner (current co-owner) is a bitchin mechanic and cruiserhead who simply just wanted to focus on restorations/repairs and not the business side of things! Anyways they acquired Bleu from it’s second owner with a verbal (facepalm) offer from a potential buyer. That buyer flaked and left them with this beautifully maintained 1987 cruiser.

363B1A56-ECB9-4935-9452-AB3B3FCAB4DF.jpeg

I was invited up to the shop to check out the 20+ cruisers they have on site (5-6 FJ40’s , 1 - FJ45, and many other FJ60’s) they were working on and saw Bleu for the first time.

Frankly I was blown away but figured it was not in the chips to buy her (promised the next car would go to the spousal-unit). On the ride home my wife said, why not buy Bleu?!? We have been wanting a reliable in town rig and I love the 100 (Bruisey). I was shocked — but also bummed as a buyer was looking at Bleu that day and I did not want to jump in!

I sent my buddy a text that he should lean on the interested party as I could put an offer on her. Over the next few days I waited until I finally got a text that Bleu was mine if I wanted her!! I could not believe it!! Later that night over dinner the wife and I sat down and outlined what we could spend and the things we needed to do prior to buying.

I can’t believe I own a FJ60!

BAAA1E03-6865-4177-AAB5-55D6769309FB.jpeg
9D05A3E4-70E4-418D-80B6-7EBF54719519.jpeg

Couple details that I always want when reading these builds/purchases.

Originally purchased in Texas - 1987

2 owners

167k miles

To Do List:

1. 2.5 OME Lift
2. Likely go back to 15" or 16" steelies
3. New stereo with updated HU, Speakers, and Sub
4. Shoulder harness rear seat belts
5. Leather Seats (heated?)
6. Clean up surface rush on undercarriage and coat with something to prevent new rust
7. Desmog
8. New Headliner and insulation

Completed list so far:

1. Birfield rebuild
2. Front axle service with new seals between 3rd and differential
3. New front calipers, pads, lines... in the process found out the master cylinder was shot and put a new one in
4. Carb service (
not rebuild... YET)
5. Change marker lights to OME
6. New alternator and battery
9. Remove old tint

10. Front pinion seal
11. New belts
12. AC compressor refresh and recharge

13. Read Heater repaired
14. LED headlight install

Last edited:
Dang! Looks great and sounds like a good deal. Well done, sir!

Thanks, the original paint looks killer. The only rust is on the right rear wheel well everything else is surface!

Pretty sure it’s original interior. Can anyone say?

5E1687C9-150D-4DFA-8179-37E943362846.jpeg
CD979822-95E9-4D40-A489-C55425EFF233.jpeg

Came with original window stickers and purchase order!!

C65971CE-35BE-434A-8A79-0C1955C72E50.jpeg
FF233F9C-503A-4BED-8AB9-3C669B2C10FB.jpeg
360A2A73-4225-4D6C-B3AC-AFA4E8EF252C.jpeg

Nice truck. Congrats! These are getting harder to acquire in a decent daily driver quality.

Just my .02 cents but I'd remove the tacky fog lights on the front bumper and get some OEM front marker lights. A couple of yakima bars would round out the roof look and be nice for loading a canoe or a couple kayaks.

Nice truck. Congrats! These are getting harder to acquire in a decent daily driver quality.

Just my .02 cents but I'd remove the tacky fog lights on the front bumper and get some OEM front marker lights. A couple of yakima bars would round out the roof look and be nice for loading a canoe or a couple kayaks.

💯 front fogs are getting taken off

Definitely want a roof rack, still unsure which rack I want... so many choices!

Agreed on the carpet, was the original carpet more of a charcoal color?

I like those wheels, can anyone point out the brand and model of those wheels?

Unsure what brand/model - will get you the name once I have Bleu back.

💯 front fogs are getting taken off

Definitely want a roof rack, still unsure which rack I want... so many choices!

Agreed on the carpet, was the original carpet more of a charcoal color?

I don’t mind the orange fogs, but the second set doesn’t match.

Rock Auto has the front marker lights for next to nothing, they’re on amazon too.

I’m not sure I think the paint is original, but nonetheless, that’s a nice low mile truck. I think you’ll like it.

I don’t mind the orange fogs, but the second set doesn’t match.

Rock Auto has the front marker lights for next to nothing, they’re on amazon too.

I’m not sure I think the paint is original, but nonetheless, that’s a nice low mile truck. I think you’ll like it.

The orange fogs and cruise control are listed on the original window sticker. So may leave those but the clear second set are definitely going.

I questioned the paint too. How would one go about checking to see if it’s original or not? Word has it - it was garaged by the second owner and was under a cover.

That's a nice looking 60, my favorite color. You should get in touch with the Rising Sun club if you're in the Denver area. Good folks, I miss 'em!

I would get a grip on that rust hole kinda looks like it may have some filler hard to tell. Really nice man? I know the part number of the rims just put some on a 84fj60 doing a ls swap on with some 32 at3 falken tires.

Hard to believe driver's seat is original and excellent condition after so many years and miles. Must have been a light weight owner.

Lookin' very good! (But I don't like dash mat).

That's a nice looking 60, my favorite color. You should get in touch with the Rising Sun club if you're in the Denver area. Good folks, I miss 'em!

Just moved out of Denver to Spokane, WA — which reminds me I need to update my profile... gotta find some local 60’s out this way!

I would get a grip on that rust hole kinda looks like it may have some filler hard to tell. Really nice man? I know the part number of the rims just put some on a 84fj60 doing a ls swap on with some 32 at3 falken tires.

Yeah, talking with Joe at the land cruiser shop - plan to repair next summer. Poking around didn’t feel like filler but won’t know until we grind into it. Aside from a magnet any other way to determine?

Lookin' very good! (But I don't like dash mat).

Yup!! I’ve seen some of the newer vinyl covers which look good! From my inspection there is only one crack. Gotta search and see if the dash is an easy repair or not.

Just moved out of Denver to Spokane, WA — which reminds me I need to update my profile... gotta find some local 60’s out this way!

Seattle is nice too! :)

I'd get some factory wheels with proper backspacing and rock out.

I'd go 70 series 16". ;)

my old gal sporting them:

i-ZKb83Gc-M.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom