Adding Air Conditioning to a 3B Diesel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Adding Air Conditioning to a 3B Diesel ?

I removed an Freon compressor from the 2F FJ , so the body has all the other factory components . I was going to (1/2 way there) a serpentine belt drive , machine pulleys , brackets, but had a REAL duh moment..

What If !! something breaks , and im not in North America, near a machine shop , welding machine etc.

I have read some post where a broken land cruiser needed something that is common . (he broke his top shock mount and needed it welded )

My real fancy serp system , is NOW not going to be part of the build. I over thought and forgot KISS.

So how available is the A/C pulley on the 3B ?
I looked it up as 88451-25020 I think .

New / Used ??

I assumed that i had read on the forum that some trucks here had AC with the 3B , but the more I look into the parts , It shows this :
Toyota Land Cruiser
1984.11-1985.10; 6cyl 3.4L; ; WGG; ; in my searching..

So what I am asking is there 3 pulleys for a 3B , PS & AC ??

VT

Last edited:
Yes, the 3B with a/c from the factory had a 3 pulley set-up. My 85 had it and it worked quite well. For further info, AFAIK there is no idle-up involved with this system,mine did not have it. There is an a/c amplifier with the system and it was basically a timer sort of. Everytime my a/c would cycle the amp would click.

Part Detail CRUISER&year=1985&catalogCode=791420&VAID=580&selectConditions=(7=CND;1=3B)&subModel=JPP-WAGON-U.S. DESTINATION&originCountry=(7=CND)&sectionID=1&isBigPicture=False&componentsID=13-01&componentsIndex=9

click on the blue "get info" tab for a pic. It shows the pulley as available at only $80 US, as long as you (they call it "w/cooler" which i assume means a/c?) have the main pulley with threaded holes in it.

HTH's
Daryl

3B transplant

My transplant of a 3B into an FJ chassis gave me the opportunity to add AC to my 60 series. I found dimensioned drawings for the bracket as shown on the internet. Worked up a CAD file and had brackets laser cut.

The drive pulley is from a 3B with AC (acquired from 4Wheel Auto in Edmonton), it fits between the existing pulleys in place of the spacer you will find there. There is an idler pulley much the same as the PS idler that fits on the right side of the block but I didn't have any luck locating one so I simply ran a brace to one of the top bolts on the compressor (sorry, not installed in the picture).

A standard automotive V-Belt (15450) worked for the drive. An alignment issue arose during the install, if you are considering this option I can expand in more detail.

Also note that if you have an FJ chassis as I did then you have to change the AC amplifier to one from a diesel system in order to get the clutch to engage. AC amplifier for diesel does not have the idle adjustment screw on the top.

AC Brkt2.jpg

AC Brkt.jpg
AC Brkt.jpg
AC Brkt2.jpg

Sweet ,,GENT'S

Mr D & B .

Thank you .

Now back to rethinking and getting it correct.
I was kinda not 100% sure after looking up the part if there was a pulley just for that with cooler (AC )

I was on the phone with one of the members here , and the gent said he had one , but is going to use it for his BJ & FJ transplants ..

I was making sure before i got too carried away , making new brackets again.
I must keep it simple, low tech.

VT

Last edited:

Wow, that looks great. I also dont have a/c and think about it every once in a while. Wouldnt be too bad to have that option. The real question is this: whats the a/c cycling off and on going to do to the power? One more piece of parasitic drag on a motor that already is not that powerful would worry me. Are you running a turbo or anything like that?

3B AC

Parasitic drag is what the OFF button is for! I have had a BJ60 since 1982 and this summer will be the first with AC so turning it off once in a while won't be too tough in most cases.

The truck has been turboed and intercooled for about the last 5 plus years so the power isn't the issue it once would have been.

Wow, that looks great. I also dont have a/c and think about it every once in a while. Wouldnt be too bad to have that option. The real question is this: whats the a/c cycling off and on going to do to the power? One more piece of parasitic drag on a motor that already is not that powerful would worry me. Are you running a turbo or anything like that?

I've had A/C on my BJ60 for the past 7+ years (did it myself and never looked back) and I have it on my FJ55 with a 3B and it will be in the FJ45LV with a 3B. Easy to do and the parts should be available if your pockets are deep and you have time on your side.

As has been mentioned, you need to change the A/C amplifier to the diesel model. The gasser amplifier is looking for a coil signal and that's simply NOT possible on the diesel. The A/C shop fabricated a control system for the FJ55 as there was no diesel model amplifier ever made for the factory A/C for an FJ55. I imagine the same thing will happen with the FJ45LV.

As for power loss. When the A/C cycles during idling you can only just notice the rpm's drop. Maybe 25rpm or so, not more. When driving I don't really notice it too much. It's not like putting on the brakes or anything!

Here's a picture of my FJ45LV with the factory A/C parts bolted on the engine.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/fj45-owner...-67-central-american-model-3.html#post2751829

Last edited:
Cruiser guy , Thanks for the link .

I enjoy seeing your posts with the family all chipping in.

Nice shot of the Pulley, I was chatting with jzilla yesterday , and than gent has one..
SOR also has a used , but shipped its more than new.

Thanks Folks VT

Easy to do and the parts should be available if your pockets are deep and you have time on your side.

As has been mentioned, you need to change the A/C amplifier to the diesel model. The gasser amplifier is looking for a coil signal and that's simply NOT possible on the diesel. The A/C shop fabricated a control system for the FJ55 as there was no diesel model amplifier ever made for the factory A/C for an FJ55. I imagine the same thing will happen with the FJ45LV.

[/URL]
High Pockets , slipped @ Coal Harbour ;) .

I found a new Pulley and it's on route.
The A/C Amplifier system Ill look into that simple circuit board and see if i can let the smoke out.

Thanks again guys ,

:beer: = I guess I'ts my turn2buy.

VT

Hi VT looks like you got the pulley!
I have taken the picture finally but can't figure out how to resize it...
So the needed parts to install A/C using the FJ parts would be?
From a 3B?...
A/C tensioner
A/C mount for block
A/C Compressor (or will the an 84 FJ compressor work??)
Amplifier?

Im using the FJ freon compressor, the amplifier also plus i'll rework it so it no longer needs the 15 primary signal. the rest i custom made ,Twice !!

My first system was a serpentine belt drive , had it finished , BUT where would i get a custom machined belt tensioner and/or the non-standard bearings found in the idlers !!!! In (pick a country ) ..I under-thought & didn't keep it simple to repair with standard bearings and belts.

So i have nicely machined serp pulleys to drive sagy PS pump/kiki-diesel compressor AC...

After I came to my sense's , and remembered the shop's in Belize , China & Russia , I can just see myself asking for a widget of super powers , while the shop has dust on all of the parts boxes..

VT

Last edited:
CanCrusher, you have any more of those compressor brackets made up? My BJ60 gets delivered in 2 days, and first order of business is adding AC. I think I read in another thread that you tweaked the file for belt alignment issues? Thanks!

3B transplant

My transplant of a 3B into an FJ chassis gave me the opportunity to add AC to my 60 series. I found dimensioned drawings for the bracket as shown on the internet. Worked up a CAD file and had brackets laser cut.

The drive pulley is from a 3B with AC (acquired from 4Wheel Auto in Edmonton), it fits between the existing pulleys in place of the spacer you will find there. There is an idler pulley much the same as the PS idler that fits on the right side of the block but I didn't have any luck locating one so I simply ran a brace to one of the top bolts on the compressor (sorry, not installed in the picture).

A standard automotive V-Belt (15450) worked for the drive. An alignment issue arose during the install, if you are considering this option I can expand in more detail.

Also note that if you have an FJ chassis as I did then you have to change the AC amplifier to one from a diesel system in order to get the clutch to engage. AC amplifier for diesel does not have the idle adjustment screw on the top.

View attachment 499844

View attachment 499843
View attachment 499843View attachment 499844

You really did a nice job on that bracket. Would it be possible to have a compressor bracket made for my 1982 BJ42. if so how much would you charge. I want to use the Nostalgic AC system and they only offer an un-fab bracket. Any additional info would be much appreciated.

3B transplant

View attachment 499844

View attachment 499843
View attachment 499843View attachment 499844
Hey Can Crusher, do you still have that CAD file? Also, did you have to do something for the other belts since the angle with the new pulley will be different I'm assuming? Thanks for your help!

Hey Can Crusher, do you still have that CAD file? Also, did you have to do something for the other belts since the angle with the new pulley will be different I'm assuming? Thanks for your help![/

Hey KavsDiesel, I'm looking for the CAD plans or the actual bracket part for the AC compressor. Good Luck, I've asked for the same from CanCrusher and no luck. I think he must be really busy

Hey Montie, let's hope that he's alright and just busy and maybe he'll get back to us at some point.

Regarding AC: Have you figured out what all the components of the project are? I haven't done all the research but I am thinking
  • manufacture bracket for compressor
  • buy compressor and install it on the bracket
  • buy 3rd pulley and install it on the drive shank
  • buy and install belt (how to figure out which one?)
  • buy AC condenser
  • install condenser (where does it go?)
  • hook up wiring from dash (need to look into that - mine used to be an FJ60 with an AC so my dash has the right controls)
  • run hoses (where do I get these hoses?)
Am I forgetting anything?

Im using the FJ freon compressor, the amplifier also plus i'll rework it so it no longer needs the 15 primary signal. the rest i custom made ,Twice !!

My first system was a serpentine belt drive , had it finished , BUT where would i get a custom machined belt tensioner and/or the non-standard bearings found in the idlers !!!! In (pick a country ) ..I under-thought & didn't keep it simple to repair with standard bearings and belts.

So i have nicely machined serp pulleys to drive sagy PS pump/kiki-diesel compressor AC...

After I came to my sense's , and remembered the shop's in Belize , China & Russia , I can just see myself asking for a widget of super powers , while the shop has dust on all of the parts boxes..

VT
Hey VT, looks like you have a lot of experience with putting on AC on a 3B. Can you see if my assumptions in the post above are correct? Can you post any pictures of your set up? Thanks, K

Hey Montie, let's hope that he's alright and just busy and maybe he'll get back to us at some point.

Regarding AC: Have you figured out what all the components of the project are? I haven't done all the research but I am thinking
  • manufacture bracket for compressor
  • buy compressor and install it on the bracket
  • buy 3rd pulley and install it on the drive shank
  • buy and install belt (how to figure out which one?)
  • buy AC condenser
  • install condenser (where does it go?)
  • hook up wiring from dash (need to look into that - mine used to be an FJ60 with an AC so my dash has the right controls)
  • run hoses (where do I get these hoses?)
Am I forgetting anything?
For a belt size I would wrap a rope size to fit the pulleys groove and get the length needed and match it to vbelts available lengths. You should get fairly close to the needed size.
The condenser mounts in front of the radiator. Check out: Downloads - www.vintageair.com
The instructions will help you to understand the components and the location.
The hoses can be made up at a hydraulic hose shop. You can buy the compression ends in various angles. Use the manufactures compressor specs for the correct connection type. Also check with auto A/C repair shops for another source. Vintage Air might sell you the individual A/C components needed. Good Luck.

An AC amplifier is simply a thermostat which reads a thermocouple on the evaporator. It cycles the compressor in/out to prevent it icing up. Often set around 2 degrees C.

The ultimate is an adjustable amplifier so you can dial in your vent temperature. From supercold for those hot and dry days to just cool for the times when you don't want to freeze your hands and knees.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom