Adding Additional Factory Crossbars (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

marshcat

SILVER Star
Threads
In about a month I'm roadtripping my '07 LX with 320k miles from Boston to Taos, NM for a month of remote work and skiing. To fit everything in the car I'm hoping to find or borrow a big rooftop cargo box. From what I've read the box will be much more stable with an extra factory crossbar or two. I don't think the current two crossbars would be sufficient.

Has anyone else gone the route of adding additional factory crossbars? And if you've upgraded to an aftermarket rack, want to sell me your factory bars :) ?

I Don't have any crossbars for you but Taos skiing is awesome. By far my favorite place to ski. Enjoy.

In about a month I'm roadtripping my '07 LX with 320k miles from Boston to Taos, NM for a month of remote work and skiing. To fit everything in the car I'm hoping to find or borrow a big rooftop cargo box. From what I've read the box will be much more stable with an extra factory crossbar or two. I don't think the current two crossbars would be sufficient.

Has anyone else gone the route of adding additional factory crossbars? And if you've upgraded to an aftermarket rack, want to sell me your factory bars :) ?
Former owner of that LX. I can tell you I had a Thule xxl rooftop carrier and it was very stable. Only issue is it rode too far back for me to open the rear hatch. Good luck!

I used a Sears cargo box on my roof rack for about 10k miles last year touching both coasts on the factory roof rack and it was perfectly secure the whole way. This was on my 200, but I’m sure it would be the same experience. Check the securement at your first and second fuel stop and you will be good to go.

Former owner of that LX. I can tell you I had a Thule xxl rooftop carrier and it was very stable. Only issue is it rode too far back for me to open the rear hatch. Good luck!
I ended up buying an old Saris box on facebook marketplace for $50. It didn't come with any mounting hardware so I positioned it just forward enough to clear the hatch, drilled holes in the box, and mounted it with u-bolts. Adds a little wind noise on the highway but otherwise seems very solid. You're right the two bars work just fine! Road trip starts on Friday if all goes well.

PXL_20210203_150739317.jpg

I ended up buying an old Saris box on facebook marketplace for $50. It didn't come with any mounting hardware so I positioned it just forward enough to clear the hatch, drilled holes in the box, and mounted it with u-bolts. Adds a little wind noise on the highway but otherwise seems very solid. You're right the two bars work just fine! Road trip starts on Friday if all goes well.

View attachment 2579150
The old girl looks fantastic! And she is a beast in the snow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom