Adding a subwoofer to a 2003+ Factory NAV Audio (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anthony.L

Looking for the end of the road...
Threads
Ok, so I have a factory electrical wiring manual that I'm going to spend some time paging through. However thought I might throw out this question to see if anyone else has tackled the project.

I'm looking to remove the factory amp and subwoofer, and then add an aftermarket amp and subwoofer to my 2004 LC.

Anyone out there with a 2003+ Factory NAV (GEN 4) audio system that has done this?

My understanding, the best/easiest/only way is to use a line out converter to convert the speaker signal to RCA line out. That will then connect to the subwoofer amp input. Some amps have this speaker line level input built-in, however the one I'm looking at does not so I will probably use an external line out converter. I'm guessing I won't be able to use the speaker signal wires going to the factory sub, so I might have to tap into the rear door speaker's signal instead.

Ideas?

Setup I'm considering:

(2) JL Audio 8W3v3 ($250 shipped for the pair on eBay)
(1) JL Audio XD600/1 ($350 shipped on eBay)

I was considering this as well but other mudders warned that the 2003+ NAV does not work if the factory amp is disconnected. One guy mentioned that he had to leave the factory amp and add another amp to drive his new sub.

Ok, leaving the factory amp installed is not that big of a deal, I'm good with that.

So the main question is, where to tap into for the line out converter to the new sub amp?

2003 w/nav here. I want to keep the stock headunit and amp. I replaced all door speakers with Infiinitys and now looking at replacing the subwoofer. It's not clear to me if there is a drop in replacement speaker or if this would really improve the sound much, so I'm wondering if anyone has installed an Infinity Basslink in their hundy?

Old thread....

I havent installed the Basslink. But, Crutchfield did recommend it to me. You could install any aftermarket sub/amp combo and retain the factory head unit and amp. Are you looking more for feedback on that particular sub set-up or just if it can be installed?

I'm just looking for feedback from anyone running the basslink set up with the stock head unit/amp. Is it a big improvement from the stock sub? Where did you install it? If I can't upgrade the OEM sub to keep in the stock location, I want something small and inconspicuous as possible. Also looking at this Kenwood.

I cannot comment on what the basslink sounds like in the 100. I can comment on how it sounded in my is300 and it was pretty powerful considering it's size and all. i would imagine that it would be pretty substantially different from the stock sub which in my opinion doesn't do much. ( i even had mine replaced a few months ago from the dealership)

I do have a question regarding the OP's first post... Isn't a 2003 with nav a gen III? I thought the 2004 was a gen IV. No?

Talk about an old thread. BUT! This is what I'm trying to figure out as well. How do I tap into the sound signal for my aftermarket amp? 2004 with nav. I have new door speakers. And its sub time :)

Talk about an old thread. BUT! This is what I'm trying to figure out as well. How do I tap into the sound signal for my aftermarket amp? 2004 with nav. I have new door speakers. And its sub time :)

When I get home I can snap a picture of how my installer tapped in way back when....

Ok... I am in the process of installing fatmat so everything is torn apart. As you can see, my amp is stuffed into the stock sub location. At the time I was still running the stock stereo and amp. We pulled the stock sub and cut the wires on the sub so we could reuse the oem connectors. We then spliced that connector into a line output connector. This then plugs right into the OEM system and the rca's run from this to the amp. The is a wide range of quality on these. Mine was pretty cheap... $15-20 from best buy made by Fierce Car Audio. Good luck!

ForumRunner_20130704_213547.jpg

ForumRunner_20130704_213605.jpg

ForumRunner_20130704_214159.jpg

ForumRunner_20130704_214336.jpg

ForumRunner_20130704_213547.jpg

ForumRunner_20130704_213605.jpg

ForumRunner_20130704_214159.jpg

ForumRunner_20130704_214336.jpg

Am I to understand that you used signal from your existing sub wires? I thought I read people tapping into one of the rear speakers. If the sub signal works, awesome =)

If I'm not mistaken, if you're using a line level input, you can tap into any speaker wire to get the signal.

Yes, with a line output converter you can tap into any line level speaker wire. Since my amp was going in the factory sub location it only made sense to use that wire rather than run wires to another location for the tap. only disclaimer I can think of is I don't have integrated nav/HVAC..... but cant see that making a difference here. Cut the connector from the sub and splice as I did. You wont be cutting anything in the OEM harness and it will be plug and play from there.

I actually hooked up my factory subwoofer leads directly to a dual voice coiled bazooka tube and it has a nice sound to it. I do plan on adding an separate amplifier to power the sub and will run a RCA cable from the aftermarket head unit to the amp, but the factory sub wires could be used as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom