Adding a 25 shot of NOS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For those of us attempting to play along on the "home game" but losing something in translation...
NOS basics explained

add several large bottles of NOS to the 80 between the frame rails and the rockers
From a convenience standpoint, having to craw underneath your truck each time the NOS bottle runs empty would quickly get old. Another problem, if you ran anything over the standard 60 CF bottle, (60 CF bottle is the standard sized NOS bottle that comes in most NOS kits that you buy) say like a 150 CF bottle, because of that bottles larger size (7 inch's in Dia. and 47 inch's long), and weight (61 pounds empty weight), it would become a 2 man job every time you needed to change that bottle.

If you ran nitrous you have to spray it on full throttle. You can't just run a shot at 1/4 throttle at 1500 rpm for a few minutes. So going up hill you would have to floor it to get it up to speed then maintain that speed as best you can and then floor it again once you lose speed. Plus you would have to tune the truck for nitrous and retard the timing so you didn't pre detonate while you are spraying, so you would be losing power on motor just to have a little extra at wot. I don't think you know how nitrous works.

If you ran nitrous you have to spray it on full throttle. You can't just run a shot at 1/4 throttle at 1500 rpm for a few minutes. So going up hill you would have to floor it to get it up to speed then maintain that speed as best you can and then floor it again once you lose speed. Plus you would have to tune the truck for nitrous and retard the timing so you didn't pre detonate while you are spraying, so you would be losing power on motor just to have a little extra at wot. I don't think you know how nitrous works.

Well the solution is obvious, simply run a WOT all the time. Be like high school all over again.

Total neophyte here, please be gentle:
This thread has peaked my interest in NOS in general and from I've been reading, rpms over 3K and under red line its OK to activate the NOS.
Which makes sense to me, that's were the torque curve really starts to come on strong. If you only activate it at WOT you might be at redline already, that wouldn't be very helpful.

If u want cheap power u can easily adapt a m90 supercharger from a GM v6 engine to a 1fz. Would just require some simple fab work. Its the same compressor trd used for their supercharger kit. Just pull it off for smog. Could probably have it done for less than 800 bucks if u do the fab work yourself.

Care to splane this moor?

Care to splane this moor?
The gm 3.8 motors had a m90 supercharger. M90 is also what trd used. The 3.8 supercharger can usually be found for around 100 to 200 dollars used on craigslist. Then u just fab your own mounting bracket and charge pipe. People do it on 4.0 jeeps quite a lot.

Make your own TRD Supercharger kit. Your own adapters, mounting brackets, charge tubing, etc.

Low effort question. TRD supercharger no longer available, any idea if the backets et al are too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom