Adding 4350 Lumens in Reverse Bulbs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The bulbs for the 1999-2002 arrived now I need a LX-LC to test them on. Also this afternoon I was in a parking garage and my backup lights didn't come on... when I installed the bulbs they slipped in and out of the connector really easy. As you can see the bulb slip out of the connector so I'll need to bend the wires on the bulb and connector for a tight fit. I may even place a small dot of headlight sealant to assure they don't move.

View attachment 2588394

Good deal....will wait to hear what you find out.

Nice!~ Will have to try them out... Curious to see if I can rig up both Rev Light spots (at lic plate and next to turn sig).

That being said, I tried the LED mini bar that attaches right above the Lic plate itself... ended up returning them.
They were bright, but also had glare, and made the rear view camera useless.

Curious to see how your experience with them will be.

Nice!~ Will have to try them out... Curious to see if I can rig up both Rev Light spots (at lic plate and next to turn sig).

That being said, I tried the LED mini bar that attaches right above the Lic plate itself... ended up returning them.

If you tired the same LED mini bar I’m sure my results will be the same ...so 2400 lumens out back will have to do :cool:

BTW, a simple piece of black electrical tape, cut into a semi-thin strip and placed on the top of that LED mini bar, should almost completely eliminate the glare. It's just stray light from the mini bar saturating the camera CCD, and the stray light can all but be eliminated with a bit of effort.

BTW, a simple piece of black electrical tape, cut into a semi-thin strip and placed on the top of that LED mini bar, should almost completely eliminate the glare. It's just stray light from the mini bar saturating the camera CCD, and the stray light can all but be eliminated with a bit of effort.
Interesting..

This was the exact bar I tried... I tested it on several different vehicles, and they all had issues with glare on backup cameras.
I wasn't really in love with it, and returned it instead of trying to block some of the light and figure it out. I'm lazy.

Interesting..

This was the exact bar I tried... I tested it on several different vehicles, and they all had issues with glare on backup cameras.
I wasn't really in love with it, and returned it instead of trying to block some of the light and figure it out. I'm lazy.

I'll follow up on my previous statement.

The LEDs used in these devices probably also emit a fair amount of IR light in addition to the visible light. The sensitivity of silicon (the normal material for CCDs of this variety) are more sensitive to IR light that visible light. I grabbed the graph below from Thorlabs, a big vendor of stuff for optics folks.
Visible is ~400-700nm, and the IR is for longer wavelengths (up to a point, then even longer wavelength classifications exist). You can see that silicon is 2x or more sensitive to IR light than visible light, and then the material essentially stops absorbing (ceases to become a useful detector material). If the LEDs used in these mini bars emit a lot of IR light on top of the visible light, the "dumb" (read: no automatic gain control) backup cameras (common for automotive) just saturate out.
FDS1010_minavgmax_lrg.gif

To get really custom and try and solve this issue, you can try and slap a filter on the camera lens that has a spectral response similar to that shown below to block the IR light.

FGS600_Transmission_G1-350.gif

The world is your oyster, budget permitting, to customize a solution.

I'll follow up on my previous statement.

The LEDs used in these devices probably also emit a fair amount of IR light in addition to the visible light. The sensitivity of silicon (the normal material for CCDs of this variety) are more sensitive to IR light that visible light. I grabbed the graph below from Thorlabs, a big vendor of stuff for optics folks.
Visible is ~400-700nm, and the IR is for longer wavelengths (up to a point, then even longer wavelength classifications exist). You can see that silicon is 2x or more sensitive to IR light than visible light, and then the material essentially stops absorbing (ceases to become a useful detector material). If the LEDs used in these mini bars emit a lot of IR light on top of the visible light, the "dumb" (read: no automatic gain control) backup cameras (common for automotive) just saturate out.
View attachment 2589347

To get really custom and try and solve this issue, you can try and slap a filter on the camera lens that has a spectral response similar to that shown below to block the IR light.

View attachment 2589348

The world is your oyster, budget permitting, to customize a solution.
Wow... that's way more detailed than I would have thought. Perhaps someone will try it out...
In my case, as mentioned, I wasn't in love w/ the Lic plate light bar light enough to change or modify parameters of the camera or the light itself.

Plus I think, like the way Lou did, having brighter lights in the factory reverse housings, seems to be fine for now, but thanks for the explanation.

Simply put (laymans terms... ) the lic plate LED light bar was just too bright, and too close to the camera lens... created too much glare.

Sorry - may have missed it... but did you guys land on a bulb you like for the '06'/07 factory reverse lights? I have the Pfran bulbs... they're brighter, but that's not saying much - I've watches that put out more light than the factory reverse lights.

Sorry - may have missed it... but did you guys land on a bulb you like for the '06'/07 factory reverse lights? I have the Pfran bulbs... they're brighter, but that's not saying much - I've watches that put out more light than the factory reverse lights.
Yes the GTR Carbide 2 ...in the first post, producing 1200 Lumens each

So TRS sent 20 pairs of the carbide 2 bulbs I ordered to the wrong address but were able to turn them around before delivery, I was just notified they arrived. I apologize to anyone who’s placed an order....they will go out tomorrow.
I will also include a small piece of headlight
sealant to secure the bulb ... these bulbs are heavy and as I previously stated they did not stay secured in the connector.
Below you can see my solution

C39389F8-8196-46C5-B0BD-3C2A723DC99C.jpeg

Let me know if you get a chance to try these in a socket that takes a 7443 bulb. IF they will work (even with an adhesive) then I'm game to buy some.

Just ordered. I had been eyeing some vled hosix bulbs, but at less than half the cost and with more lumens these seem like a better option.

Just ordered. I had been eyeing some vled hosix bulbs, but at less than half the cost and with more lumens these seem like a better option.
Just packaged your bulbs and printed a shipping label ...thank you
So....looks like you used them in place of a 7443 bulb....correct?
Yes, that is correct

So i just placed an order with TRS for 10 pairs of the 7440/7443 and they are sold out but my order is in the Que. They should be back in stock 3/17 at TRS
I have 2 pairs of the 7443 available and 19 pairs of the 921/T15 that fit 2003-2007

The 7443 also works for the LC not just the early LX correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom