Adding 4350 Lumens in Reverse Bulbs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Luke111

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Most of you know about the wicked headlights I build so I thought I’d share my quest for something for the back of our trucks that don’t break the bank. TRS (The Retrofit Source) has a few amazing new bulbs I thought I’d try. First I tried their most expensive reverse bulb coming in at $100.00 the GTR Ultra LED... each bulb producing 1200 lumens. They didn’t fit the reverse housing perfectly but with a little trimming I could have made them fit.. but it was the shallow depth behind the light housing that didn’t allow these to work. So next up was the GTR Carbide 2 LED at $30.00 a pair and these also produce 1200 lumens each. They were plug and play and produce amazing light. I was already running LED’s in the reverse housing but these are brighter. Next up but not installed yet is the XTR LP Reverse Light System at $78.75 producing 1950 Lumens. Mounts above the license plate but I’ll have to drill a small hole to run the wires into the tail gate... the wiring has a small grommet making a nice seal. Stay tune for output shots

A3681FBB-33C4-4AEE-8EA3-E1681123C12D.jpeg

77289040-5380-4DF2-84EE-317C22B982BB.jpeg

3B84987B-2B5D-440A-A367-492E76EECEE1.jpeg

On the left is the older LED.... I also lowered the exposure because the new bulb is so bright ... I’m also in a parking garage but it’s open on two sides and its 4:00 in the afternoon

E7C62EAD-77F4-46D6-9B63-80AA2790C887.jpeg

Thanks for the info. How well does the light project? I have aftermarket led reverse bulbs that seem plenty bright, but they don’t illuminate the area behind the vehicle too well.

There’s a small spot light on the house so it’s not completely dark but these bulbs are bright and really illuminated well. I can’t wait to install the license plate LED’s . I’m easily 60ft from the garage

784B0B25-AD6D-4E6E-9E41-8083CCED633F.jpeg

F3757255-F98C-4C4A-B529-88DDA687F1D9.jpeg

What is going on with the awning bird spikes on the truck next to you?
The local wintering crows were roosting nightly on my awnings. Every day I’d come out to huge bird droppings running down the sides of my truck... which can etch the paint. So I epoxied bird spikes to thin strips of wood and attached them with heavy duty Velcro.. problem solved. Here’s the band of crows now...you can only imagine what these two cars looked like after one night

95B467DF-5CDE-4C1F-AF69-2B2DB6C91E9E.jpeg

30D9D134-4385-4E94-BB35-6223C11CB5F0.jpeg

The local wintering crows were roosting nightly on my awnings. Every day I’d come out to huge bird droppings running down the sides of my truck... which can etch the paint. So I epoxied bird spikes to thin strips of wood and attached them with heavy duty Velcro.. problem solved. Here’s the band of crows now...you can only imagine what these two cars looked like after one night

View attachment 2579169

View attachment 2579170

Awesome! Makes sense. Digging the mad max look

"So next up was the GTR Carbide 2 LED at $30.00 a pair and these also produce 1200 lumens each. They were plug and play and produce amazing light."

@Luke111 So these get your stamp of approval? If so, will order them!

Since my 2003 doesn't have a backup camera, it'd be good to help signal I'm in reverse (more so than stock rear lights).

Most of you know about the wicked headlights I build so I thought I’d share my quest for something for the back of our trucks that don’t break the bank. TRS (The Retrofit Source) has a few amazing new bulbs I thought I’d try. First I tried their most expensive reverse bulb coming in at $100.00 the GTR Ultra LED... each bulb producing 1200 lumens. They didn’t fit the reverse housing perfectly but with a little trimming I could have made them fit.. but it was the shallow depth behind the light housing that didn’t allow these to work. So next up was the GTR Carbide 2 LED at $30.00 a pair and these also produce 1200 lumens each. They were plug and play and produce amazing light. I was already running LED’s in the reverse housing but these are brighter. Next up but not installed yet is the XTR LP Reverse Light System at $78.75 producing 1950 Lumens. Mounts above the license plate but I’ll have to drill a small hole to run the wires into the tail gate... the wiring has a small grommet making a nice seal. Stay tune for output shots
Do you have an issue with the bulbs washing out the backup camera? I installed these bulbs in my 04LX and the light washed out the camera when looking at the screen; . I put halogens back in.
Amazon product ASIN B01GGK6QDW

Do you have an issue with the bulbs washing out the backup camera? I installed these bulbs in my 04LX and the light washed out the camera when looking at the screen; . I put halogens back in.
I am using these JDM ASTARs and they do not wash out my rear camera. My camera is mounted on the rear license plate.

Having said that, when it's time to replace, I will go with Luke's suggestion - I have had excellent luck with this other lighting suggestions!

Here’s a shot of my Nav screen and there’s no wash out using just the bulbs. I have not mounted the license plate LED but I’ll test it for wash out before drilling a hole. Not the best picture but this was a really dark parking garage.
Added the picture from my phone and now looking at it on my computer I can see where to much more light might wash it out but this works for me and can still see the bumper. I also back into my space at home with a wall behind me. Thanks for the heads up on the wash out.

Lou

DD33B59A-D878-475C-A5DD-DD694F7AA643.jpeg

Last edited:
First of all, the light output is pretty darn good.
Second, the bird repellent is funny as hell, especially in light of the recent MPG discussion (s)😂😂😂

30d9d134-4385-4e94-bb35-6223c11cb5f0-jpeg.2579170

@Luke111, (although none of the following adjectives quite hit the mark, the combination of them comes close) my amazement/respect/adoration/ingenuity/creativity/brashness for you increased by at least two fold.

Lou, how does this impact the screen inside the car at night?

I don't have this same issue now that I've got a rear bumper with tire carrier (blocks camera for now), but before putting it on the LED bulbs I put in my reverse lights washed out the screen inside and made it too bright to effectively when backing up. I would always just turn the screen off and turn my head.

I installed these bulbs in my 04LX and the light washed out the camera when looking at the screen; . I put halogens back in.
Maybe can glue a small piece of fin around the camera to prevent the light from getting into the lens directly?

Maybe can glue a small piece of fin around the camera to prevent the light from getting into the lens directly?
That would probably help or use bulbs that were not designed to light up the reflector like that the one I used (maybe use one that is a projector style). Still, its the stock camera (17 years old now) and I'm replacing it with an aftermarket camera due to the install of a dissent no cut rear bumper with swingout tire carrier. The dissent has back up LED lights built in the bumper. I was just asking out of curiosity due to my setup. I'm running Luke's brackets and MH1 projectors and its the best mod I've done to date.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom