addding manual lockouts to a 1979 axle? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Would like to know what I need to do to add manual lockouts to a full time 1979 axle. I bought a set of used aisin lockouts.

Remove the drive flanges and install the lockouts.

It really is not that difficult.

:beer:

Hi All:

"Mike," if your '79 Land Cruiser does not currently have manual free wheeling hubs on it, then it has lock plates.

Do you have a factory chassis manual? It would be helpful, but you will just be removing the lock plates and replacing 'em with the Aisin free wheeling hubs.

Good luck!

Alan

I took the lock plate off one side today. See if this is right, split lockout and bolt to the hub, then put snap ring back on end of axle, then put top of lockout on the lockout body?

pop the cap off of the drive plate.

remove the c-clip off of the birfield end

unbolt the driveplate.

use a brass drift/punch to loosen cone washers by rapping the ends of the hub studs.

remove drive plate

unbolt cap of unlocking hub (Aisin)

install unlocking hub with new gasket to axle hub.

replace cone washers and bolts, torque accordingly.

install c-clip, replace if badly distorted

install cap of locking hub with new gasket.

torque cap bolts and torque accordingly

repeat to other side:beer:

hope this helps

Sounds good and thanks for the input, I think I was making this harder than I needed to. Thanks Mike.

In the extremely remote possibility that a PO installed Toyota Automatic Hubs (I guess it could happen), you would be removing them because they were "historically" broken a few minutes after they were installed, but you would then also need some additional parts to go along with the manual hubs.

Interested in selling the lockplates?

Downey: My 78 FJ40 that I just bought has the auto Warn hubs on it. I have read a good bit about them and plan to replace them as soon as I can get the money to buy a set of Warn manual hubs. You mention that if the auto hubs were on and that if you were going to replace them with manual hubs, that you would need additional parts. Which parts are you referring to? So, if I get a set of manual hubs, then it is not a matter of just removing the auto hubs and replacing them with the manual hubs, I have to have additional parts also. Is this correct and what are the parts needed. Thank you very much

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom