This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is it possible to remove the oil seal on a Non-ADD Differential and bolt up an ADD axle tube? By removing the seal, the tube and ADD system gets oiled. The only difference I see is that with the ADD system you get needle bearings, and the Non-ADD diff only has the machined in "bushing" with oil ways. Has anyone done this?

I converted a add diff to non add by swaping the axle tube. I assume it would work the other way too. Dont forget about the add stub shaft in the side of the carrier

I'm swapping over to non ADD right now. Although I'm also using the diff from the non ADD because it's the correct gear ratio. everything I have read says it CANNOT be done in the reverse order. But I think it can, just not ass good as the needle bearings. In the end, all this work is temporary until my solid axle is complete.

I'm about to throw my setup together. Is the non ADD tube lubricated somehow? It seems like the bearing at the outer end should get oil, but the seal at the diff prevents that....?

If there is a outter seal (I believe there is) I would remove the inner seal. Look at the other side. How is that set up?

I think I figured out the seal issue. To eliminate the ADD system completely; do I plug the vaccuum lines? And jump the electrical connection for the 4wd dash light to still work?

I need a little more info. Please answer all questions so I can try and help you
1. did the truck come with add?
2. Did you switch to lockout hubs?
3. Are you using a ADD axle tube.
4. Are you using a NON ADD Carrier?
If you answered yes to the first 3 questions I would suggest:
1. Plug the vacuum lines to the engine.
2. remove the actuator and slide the shift fork and the coupler over so that 4wd is engaged in the front axle.
3. I believe the 4x4 sensor for that light is on the t case. nothing to do here

Got it all working flawlessly! Thanks for the help. Just because: truck started with ADD. Swapped to non ADD diff, and axle tube, with manual locking hubs. I just plugged the vaccum lines for now. I'll eventually pull the VSV and can. There is a indicator sensor in the case and one at the ADD yoke. Just jump those two wires and the dash light comes on from the tcase sensor. Got it all done last night just in time for the snow! Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom