Add bike rack to tire swing out? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have a Bump It Offroad rear bumper with the rear tire swing out option (and ladder swing out) and I'm trying to figure out the best way to use a tray style bike rack using a hitch mount. With the tire installed simply mounting up the rack to the existing BIO hitch mount causes the rack to not be able to stow/fold up. I bought a 7" extension for the rack but neglected to notice that the rack gets in the way of the swingout arm (see photo).

Im wondering if i can have my tire swingout modified with a 2" receiver hitch to mount the bike rack to. There is room for it on the arm, however im worried about the amount of load that the arm will take when the bikes are loaded on there. I usually transport 2 mountain bikes, however sometimes ill carry my friends e-bike. Lets say its 80 lbs of bike (e-bikes are heavy, ~50lbs)+ the rack which weighs 50 lbs, so 130lbs worst case. Not sure how much the spare weighs, but its a factory 16" wheel with a 33" tire. I also plan on adding a hi-lift to this at a later point. It seems like that thing will be carrying 250lbs worst case which seems like an awful lot of weight. (for reference, 5 gal of water is ~42lbs, so the bike rack would be equivalent of adding ~3 full jerry cans to the swingout)

Anyone have any thoughts? I like the functionality added but it seems like it might be too much weight.

I can always buy one of the swing out style hitch receivers or a drop hitch extension but opening the rear hatch would be a PITA (open bike swing out, open tire swing out, open ladder swing out, open hatch, lower gate). If i mount it onto the tire swingout its removes a step as the bikes would swing out with the tire.

IMG-9335.jpg

I’d prob just hit the bottom corner of that swingout with a grinder to make it clear the receiver. Free and easy solution.

I’d prob just hit the bottom corner of that swingout with a grinder to make it clear the receiver. Free and easy solution.
I think I would have to remove quite a bit of the swing out to get it to fit. It’s not clear in the photo but I would probably have to cut 5 or 6” off.
The spare tire hitch is interesting; I’m still worried about the weight but that might be a solution for the how. I currently have a back up camera mounted there but I can re-route that if needed.

This is the best solution, but is $$$: iSi Modular Bicycle Carrier - Extreme Duty 4x4x2 Bicycle Carrier. Love mine tho. Can open and close my full length swing out with tire and cooler without issue and without having to take bikes off rack.

I like this option.

I have the BIO rear. The tire swingout bearing assembly is robust, but it's not so overbuilt that I'd add that much weight/moment to it if you put many miles on the rig.

Go the route that @JunkCrzr89 linked where you're utilizing the hitch. The hitch can handle it. The tire swingout is a gamble with potentially fatal consequences if that thing let's loose on the highway. Those trailer bearings have failed on rear bumper swingouts - they can and do fail if overloaded or improperly welded. I think BIO's is stout and great for a spare tire and high lift, but I wouldn't modify it to hold double the intended amount, especially away from the centerline where it'll just add constant torque load to that arm and it's bearing.

I like this option.

I have the BIO rear. The tire swingout bearing assembly is robust, but it's not so overbuilt that I'd add that much weight/moment to it if you put many miles on the rig.

Go the route that @JunkCrzr89 linked where you're utilizing the hitch. The hitch can handle it. The tire swingout is a gamble with potentially fatal consequences if that thing let's loose on the highway. Those trailer bearings have failed on rear bumper swingouts - they can and do fail if overloaded or improperly welded. I think BIO's is stout and great for a spare tire and high lift, but I wouldn't modify it to hold double the intended amount, especially away from the centerline where it'll just add constant torque load to that arm and it's bearing.
Yea, I think you are right; I kinda expected this answer but figured I would double check. I am also considering adding a thru axle adapter to the top of the ladder (probably with a steel plate or something). I’ll take a closer look at those racks and see if I can get the appropriate measurements to see if it clears.

Ah I looked more at the page and see the options for the mount
1575001563279.jpeg

looks like one of the low adapters would work

Ah I looked more at the page and see the options for the mount View attachment 2144850

looks like one of the low adapters would work
Yeah, they are fully modular racks with a ton of options and adjustability. Expensive, particularly because they have to be shipped from the land down under, but are made specifically for use on 4x4s in the Australian backcountry. Mine has been worth every penny.
56B27312-B6DF-4AA8-8DA5-DB827E6ADCF2.jpeg

I also have a bior rear bumper and had the same issue with my bike rack. I added a dual hitch extension which helped to clear the dual swing outs. I believe if you add another extension or find a longer extension that would help to clear the swing outs should resolve your issue. Let me know if you need a picture of my set up.

Somethings you just need to do yourself! :) This has been a life changer for me...Adding a few gussets for peace of mind, not really needed.

58922901114__3C2ECD1C-9315-4BC9-B2A4-D9778BBBB7A2-2.JPG

I use this with my BIO: RakAttach Swing-out Rack System - RakAttach
Mostly used with the double Kuat, but have had the 4 bike on there. Works fine to Moab and back. None of these mounts, even not extended, like concrete freeways.

Thanks for all the responses! Landshark9, thats effectively what i was thinking of doing. Have you noticed any issues with the swingout with all the weight on there? I worry that thing is going to fatigue over time. I have also considered a rack swing out like the one you linked gwatts; i was thinking about checking out the Yakima version as it plays nice with my existing key system.

Fatigue: why not run 2 synch straps from the sides of the tray to the vehicle roof. Will lessen tray movement which in turn lowers stress, thus reducing fatigue affect. Same as providing additional structural reinforcements.

Thanks for all the responses! Landshark9, thats effectively what i was thinking of doing. Have you noticed any issues with the swingout with all the weight on there? I worry that thing is going to fatigue over time.

Don't think you need to worry about the weight, these swingouts are really strong. Going down steep ledges my spare catches and puts way more stress on it than a bike mount would. The spindles used are similar to front axles for cars and are way stronger than needed. Have had my Slee since 2008 and dropped down a lot of ledges dragging spare.

I agree with Skidoo. I have a Slee and I'm guessing the spindle is way over-spec'd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom