Add a leaf..pics? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am considering doing add a leaf, my stock suspension saggy but is not totally flat and i want a couple more inches, i dont know if i should get short or long or what. i have gotten mixed messages what the lift height would be, i just want like 1 1/2-2 inches. does that sound about right? some pictures would be great too!

Last summer I put MAF long AALs on all four corners of my '85 Fj60. I didn't measure before and after, but I got around 1 1/2 or 2 inches of lift over my nearly flat stock springs. The ride is a lot harder than I would have expected, so I can't imagine what it would have been like if I'd have gone with short AALs instead, given that the longs are supposed to ride softer than the shorts.

The job wasn't especially tough, but I did find a broken spring on both the front and rear DS packs, which added to the project's time and cost while a local spring shop made replacements. I'm definitely glad that I did this, but given the final cost and the hassle, I probably should just have gone with an OME kit instead. HTH.

Here's my old 60, MAF long AALs front and rear with 33in tires.

cruiser.jpg

I just looked up the maf longs, they r cheaper than i thought, how much does the labor typically cost (i would try to do it myself but i dont have the space or the knowledge...yet) that is a great pic btw, thanks!

Not to threadjack or anything, but I'd like to hear more about the kind of ride quality people are getting with these long AALs.

My stock springs still have some arch to them, but not a ton. Going over bumps at low speed, they seem really bouncy, I guess I'd call it. This is with no cargo, and going through especially deep potholes at 0-10mph. I'm wondering if some AALs would make it better (along with the 'real' goal of making it that much easier to fit 33" tires), or if it would be worse, or if it wouldn't make any difference because the problem is with my shocks?

Not to threadjack or anything, but I'd like to hear more about the kind of ride quality people are getting with these long AALs.

My stock springs still have some arch to them, but not a ton. Going over bumps at low speed, they seem really bouncy, I guess I'd call it. This is with no cargo, and going through especially deep potholes at 0-10mph. I'm wondering if some AALs would make it better (along with the 'real' goal of making it that much easier to fit 33" tires), or if it would be worse, or if it wouldn't make any difference because the problem is with my shocks?

To answer your question, I bet the shocks are too blame too. Too bouncy means that the shock isn't doing its job of dampening the spring movement.

Do people have a shock to recommend when adding the AAL to stock springs?

I also would like to hear about the ride quality of the long AALs. Additionally, what about the increased weight capacity?

As far as ride quality the shocks make a big difference. I put 62 springs with long AAL's on my 60 and with Ironman shocks
Ironman 4x4 Nitro Gas Shock Absorbers
I would say it rides well. Not great but for what you are looking at, better than alot of 26 year old trucks. The shocks I think really do make it though. I have the difference in height written somewhere, I will look for the actual numbers and post them up.

Buy about 2 cans of this product CRC Industries - Knock'er Loose
and start soaking everything in and around the springs, go on and order all new bushings and if money permits new spring pins Spring Hanger. Then about 8 cutting wheels, a 4.5 grinder and cut the old spring pins on either side of the leafs and you will be good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom