add-a-leaf or not to add-a-leaf? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got a set of add-a-leafs and now I dont know if I want to put them on my cruiser or not. I think that the add-a-leaf would make it a really stiff ride. so what are the pro and cons of add-a-leafs? would the add-a-leaf give less travle? Should I just ditch them and gets some 2.5" lift springs? I all ready have 2" lift shackles. so what would be a better all around set up to go with? the add-a-leafs? or the 2.5" springs?

I put a set of add-a-leafs on my 40 when I first got it and didn't know any better. I wouldn't advise going that route. They were Warn "black diamond" and were horrible. The ride was less than desirable. They did lift it about 2", and the Cruiser handled better than with stock springs only, but it rode like a tank. I later went to 4" Skyjacker soft ride springs. The Skyjackers ride like a Cadillac compared to the add-a-leafs.

NOOOOO!! I cannot tell you how much they suck... You might aswell weld some angle iron from the diff's up to the body.. thats what it will feel like..
I am saving up for a OME kit.. I am thinking it will be alot better..

If you wanna piss blood they are ok......:crybaby:

I took mine of shortly after I bought it.:D

wtmtnterror said:
If you wanna piss blood they are ok......:crybaby:

C'mon now, don't sugarcoat it; tell us how you REALLY feel!:D

Add-A-leafs seem to me to be just a shortcut/bandaid to fix a sagging spring problem or maybe just to get a little more tire clearance. I can't say that I ever expierienced A-A-L first hand but IMO your better off saving for quality springs/shocks that will provide overall better on/off road performance and be less heart ache and stress in the end. JMO!!

Just to clarify, we're talkin bout the type in the second pic right, sometimes they're both called the add a leaf.

While I hear lots of bad about the first type that bolts on top, I had the second type installed in my rear 73 springs and I thought they helped, leveled it out, they were'nt really stiff or that rough. By the time I got the truck they could have been in for years and may have been broken in and soft though. .02.
Lev-A-Load-g1.gif
leaf.JPG

the shortie adds are stiff usually around 24"-28" long

i put the full length adds on my 60 and it still rides real nice
IMO if your going to do it,do it only with the full length adds
youll have a nicer ride over the stiff shorties

so do add-a-leafs take away from your travel? and i'm talking about the short style ones.

B6i6K6e6R6b6O6y said:
so do add-a-leafs take away from your travel? and i'm talking about the short style ones.

i would have to say YES, they are a thick spring and restrick travel.
pretty much they are advertised as a overload spring.

think i need one?
sdehg4.jpg

don't use the add a leafs, return em.

if you are going for a mild lift, look into old man emu, just installed a mild OME lift on my 4runner and WOW, what a difference, thing rides so nice now compared to the stock toy setup.

If you are looking for 4+, just go SOA, you can buy cut and turned axles, etc. out there now, well worth it. I had a 4 inch lift SUA and didnt' like it at all, no flex.

Noah

fj40onnos is that a vw bug with a vw van axle? So what are some other good 2.5" lift springs? anybody have any they want to sell?

B6i6K6e6R6b6O6y said:
fj40onnos is that a vw bug with a vw van axle? So what are some other good 2.5" lift springs? anybody have any they want to sell?

hahah its an E-Z-GO, its at a friends shop

SOA in the rear, cut the frame in the front and bolted up Z plates and did a high steer, it one bad cart!

rancho 2.5" lift springs

I have chance to get a set of rancho 2.5 inch lift springs for 50$ all 4 of them. but shipping will be 100$. should i get them or no? i'll get a pic of them.

heres a pic.

Last edited:
I would not reccomend the rancho springs, I had these on my 40 for years and there were VERY stiff, no flex. Again, have heard good things about the Old Man Emu springs, research and you will find the same advice........

Noah

I just got done looking at the old man emu and hfs lifts and damn I dont have that kinda money $900-1000. so I'm thinking that the rancho springs cant be that bad, can they? would they be much better of a ride than my stock springs with an add-a-leaf?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom