Adapting to the transition from e-mail to forum (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Guys!

We know there will be some transition issues from the e-mail based communication with Yahoo to the web based communication with the TLCA Clubhouse Corner here on IH8MUD.

For those of you that are new to using 'Mud, you can get questions answered here in our little corner of 'Mud or in the Forum Help section of 'Mud. You can also practice posting with images and links in the Help forum.

A couple of quick points on images:
===========================

* You will probably need to resize your images to get them to "fit" on the forum. This is easy to do and your camera software may have the option. Many use the program called IrfanView available for free download and completely free use at the IrfanView web site This is Windows software and works very well for resizing images.

* You will be restricted from posting images until you have a few "posts" as a new IH8MUD user. I think it is 5 posts or something like that. Once you pass this threshold you can attach images to your post by using the "Advanced" option when posting. Help is available if you need it.

* Silver star members ($20/yr to IH8MUD) are entitled to unlimited image attachments, more Private Messages (PM), and a few other features.

* If you choose not to become a Silver Star member then you can still post unlimited number of images using something called [ img ] tags. Images can be any size that you want when you use the [ img ] tags. Including images with your posts is quite easy to do and you have the ability to put your images anywhere in your post. Attached images described above will always be at the end of your post. We have a free PhotoBuckethttp://photobucket.com account for High Desert Cruisers that you are encouraged to use. PM me for access.

* There are several other "free" photo hosting web sites and you can set up one for yourself on Photobucket or any image hosting site that you choose.

Saving non-Image files:
==================

We have a folder on Yahoo that we use for file storage. GPS tracks, Word and PDF documents (membership form), Google Earth files, and several other things. As of today we will leave those type of files on Yahoo. We have other file storage options but nothing as easy as Yahoo.

E-Mail Notifications:
===============

We have several options for being notified of new HD Cruiser forum posts via e-mail. You should explore these options and determine what works best for you.
* Daily or Weekly notification of new posts to the forum via e-mail. This notice can be set up just for HD Cruisers posts. The notification will not have the content of the post so you still have to visit the forum to read the posts.
* Instant notification of new posts and replies to your subscribed threads. Unlike the other notification, this "instant" e-mail notification will have the content and the author of the post or the reply. You must visit the forum to reply to any posts or to start new threads.
* RSS (Really Simple Syndication) feeds are available:
... Firefox V2 uses RSS via Active bookmarks
... IE 7 has an RSS option
... Several free RSS readers are available (FeedReader is a good one)

That's enough for now.

:cheers:

-Mike-
97 FZJ80

Last edited:
Here is an example of including an image from another web site.

newhdclogo.gif

The above was created by typing in the "start image" tag [ img ] (no spaces between brackets)
Then the URL to our club logo: http://hdcruisers.org/newhdclogo.gif
followed by the "stop image" tag [ /img ] (no spaces between brackets.)

At the bottom of this post is an attached image. It was in "My Pictures" on my local PC and the "Manage Attachments" option was selected from the "Advanced" option of this post. I browsed to the folder, found the image, uploaded, and it was attached to the end of this post.

That's all there is to it!

-Mike-
97 FZJ80
Annotated_birfield_diagram_small.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the primer Mike.

It is also possible for us to use the mud "private message" feature and be able to visit "off-line" so to speak as required. It is easy to use and I use it constantly for communications with other board members.

You can also come back later and attach images after-the-fact.
zPICT0127 (Medium).JPG

Last edited:
This is all fine, but don't you think you should tell da' other folks at YAHOO?

This is gonna be nice. One shop shopping for all things Cruiser related. Oh and lookie what we can do here, :flipoff2:

LOL!

I emailed Shawn and Pm'd Greg and Steve so far.

sending the notification right now. :)

good summary Beo ;) you've probably researched that stuff more than I have...lol

I have been looking foward to this.

Vince

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom