Adapting FJ62 wiper control to 69 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here is my situation, I have '69 FJ40 with top mount wipers. I have retrofitted an FJ62 steering column and am trying to figure out how to properly wire the wiper control switch and module to my wiper motor.

IMG_5480.jpg

Here is the WD for the FJ62 wiper system:

1611203944122.png

and here is the FJ40:
1611203994058.png

The wiper motors both have 4 wires, but notice on the diagram for the Fj40 wiper motor that it does not show the internals, so I can't cross reference to match. Does anyone have a more detailed WD of the FJ40 wiper motor or know what wire colors match up. I am hesitant to start hooking up live voltage to find out by trial and error. Those FJ40 top mount wiper motors sell for $$$, if you can find one, and I would prefer not to fry mine.

thanks!

The early 40 wiper motors are switched on the ground side whereas the 62 wiper motor is switched on the hot side. The intermittent wiper relay will not work, you would have to rewire your wiper motor and I'm not sure that is possible.

1611231680477.png

This is the intermittent wiper setup I use, the Nissan wiper module is designed to work on the ground side. The 62 wiper switch could possibly be made to work with the Nissan module, or the 62 module could be modified to operate on the ground side. I did that with a Ford bronco wiper module and it worked fine. Briefly looking at the 62 switch development, I think the Nissan module will work.

1611232124384.png

Last edited:
Thanks @Engineer8000! That diagram is exactly what I needed. I see what you are referring to, both the motors internal diagrams are similar, except that the park circuit ground for the FJ40 is NC and for the FJ62 it is NO.

1611243144190.png

Additionally @pappy mentioned to me yesterday in a PM that he wired an FJ60 wiper switch and control module to top mount FJ40 wiper motor, while the wipers worked he did also mention his setup would not auto park the wipers in the home position upon turning the switch off, which is consistent with our understanding of the park circuit.

@Engineer8000 do you have a part number for the Nissan module?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom