Adapting a 92-94 Ranger heater blower motor to an early FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey gang, I created this 3d printable blower wheel for folks adapting the 92 Ranger blower motor to an early FJ40. This can be printed on any SLA or SLS printer (I don't suggest using an FDM printer like a prusa or a creality, the layer line orientation will make this part weak in key areas) or JLCPCB can spit one out in Nylon SLS for around $40.
I'm not able to compare the airflow to factory since mine was already broken, but it does work well and shot all manner of bugs and nasty stuff out of my defroster vents.
I will continue to experiment with the attack angle of the blades and post updates to printables as I do, but it works fine as is for folks in need before winter sets in.
Hope this helps!

Download the STL file here

The white wheel is the Ford one, the green is the 3d printed one (scratched to hell from testing)

fan.jpg

Btw are they high low or do you need to use the oem resistor
Since mine was borked, I don't really have a comparison I can make. I know that they sell a 3 speed resistor for this motor, but it's designed to be in the path of the airflow to keep it cool unlike the external ones on the 40, but it should be easy to wire up an external one. I plan on using a PWM motor controller knob instead of a high/low resistor myself.

To give an idea on how much air this blower moves, this is without the gasket between the blower and the vent, so air leaks all over the place and it is still able to hold the glove.

Great article, I will have one printed up and try that Ranger fan motor. I've spent almost an entire day going through the Four Seasons catalog trying to find a replacement motor for my FJ that has an armature that is shot and front case bushing that is shot. The FJ's used such a small wheel that it's hard to find a motor! I notice the Ranger motor does not have a threaded shaft that would take a nut on the end. Are you using a compression ring to retain the wheel on the shaft?

Great article, I will have one printed up and try that Ranger fan motor. I've spent almost an entire day going through the Four Seasons catalog trying to find a replacement motor for my FJ that has an armature that is shot and front case bushing that is shot. The FJ's used such a small wheel that it's hard to find a motor! I notice the Ranger motor does not have a threaded shaft that would take a nut on the end. Are you using a compression ring to retain the wheel on the shaft?
The one I ordered is similar to this and had the threaded shaft.
PXL_20230819_022357565.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom