1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acura NSX

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Bradass80, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Bradass80

Bradass80

Just looking for anyone that has personally owned one, i've been looking for a Supra 93-97 and may look at an NSX instead, in yellow they're just about as gorgeous as a Ferrari, just wanted some opinions on how comfortable they are for a 6'1" person to drive and how well they hold up, it's a Honda basically so it should be damn reliable for a sports car, or if anybdy knows of a good website to do some research on them, upgrades and such, Thanks Brad.

2. Kanab

Kanab

I owned a 1991 Red with black leather. They are made in a special factory and they are the most dependable super car you can buy. Every thing is alimunim except for the axle shafts. They come with titaniinum connecting rods. Mine came with a special hard cover book that explained the car, I kept the book but wish I kept the car. The only problem with them is that they wearout the rear tires within 8-10K miles, but they handle like they are on rails. I bought mine used in I think it was 1994 for around $34K and it had 12-13K miles on it. I sold it in 1996 with around 30K miles on it for around $32K and now I never see any for sale for less then $30K with over 80K miles on them. Yes I screwed up ever selling the NSX. Get one if you can they are very special cars.

PS- Just a personal oppinion, from certain angles I thought it was great looking but from some angles it wasn't good looking. That bothered me and I think that was the main reason I let it go. :frown:

3. hoser

hoser SILVER Star

I have a 92 with over $15k in mods. The car is a dream to drive on the track. Rear tires can last much longer if you use 94+ alignment specs. I am 5'10" and fit fine in the car. When I wear a helmet it can be a little cramped. It really depends on how long your torso is. But in in terms of ride comfort, the ride is excellent. The suspension design and aluminum components are very light and really follow the road. Sway is very minimal with suspension changes.

I've driven several modded 93-97 Supra TT's. If you are looking for power and drag races, the Supra will kill the NSX--unless you plan to spend $10-18k on a turbo set-up. There are a few NSX's that dyno at over 700rwhp but it costs a lot of money to get there. When it comes to handling and driving pleasure, the NSX comes out way ahead of the Supra.

The only NSX forum is www.nsxprime.com

4. TJDIV

TJDIV Back in The U.P.

Media:
    Albums:
    I've always liked those cars.

You don't see too many of them on the road here...

5. LX_TREME

LX_TREME

I also used to have '95 Supra, HKS Stage V spent about $25k just the mods.
    Sold the car :crybaby: but NSX just different category truly pure japs sports car
    not like others -not even RX 7.You want the weight in the middle rear not pushing the weight.Thats why when the NSX come out from the cornering it excellent balance.Gotta love the 9000RPM red line-V-Tech Scream...by the way i got video best lap time of NSX against Skyline-R, Porsche 993 Turbo and M3 in Nurburging -GmbH.
    P.S: Nice NSX you got there Hoser ;)

6. Bradass80

Bradass80

hoser - Who makes a turbo kit for the NSX? and do you have one on yours?
    I'm not really interested in drag racing, although i'm sure i would end up in a few. I want something i can hop into on the weekends and cruise up to the mountains and be comfortable and have plenty of power , Brad.

7. dclee

dclee

Nice! I'm seriously looking at one of these as well, as a replacement for the SL. Can't beat Honda reliability! Get a `97 + as that was the last major mechanical and cosmetic upgrade (front fascia, bigger forged wheels, 290 hp, 6-speed tranny, etc.). I agree that they may be beat off the line by some other cars (like Corvettes, Supra TTs, etc.) but as a whole package (power, handling, ride, reliability, build quality) they are hard to beat.

8. Doc

Doc

Media:
    Albums:
    I think the first gen NSX's were the best looking. Not too rounded, very supercar looking.

9. hoser

hoser SILVER Star

My plans were for a turbo but CA smog laws are very tough right now especially since we have to go to "test only" stations.

The two most trusted Turbo suppliers are Factor X Engineering though their website is not up right now. They have one NSX that is dynoing at 757rwhp/599ft/lbs of torque. They are in Vegas. Another, equally respected, tuner is Gerry Johnson out of Modesto, CA. He was also featured in Turbo Magazine

His basic kit installed is about $9k for the bare bones. Most people spend more. Furthermore, most people ship their car to him or fly him out for the weekend to install it. Not cheap.

The only smog legal forced induction kit we have is Comptech (supercharger). And you can have is installed locally. That is also about $9k.

It's a great car, one of the best sports cars I've ever driven but it is also expensive to mod. One could easily spend over $4k on an exhaust system. With all the money you can dump into them, a new Corvette starts to sound appealing (though I'd probably never buy one).

10. hoser

hoser SILVER Star

I say if you are going to keep it stock, the 97+ is the year to get. It is much more difficult to turbo though because of the OBD2 and drive by wire. IMO, the 95-96 were the least desirable. The the 91-94 were the best for the track and modding simply because they are the lightest and don't have the Targa tops. Cosmetically, they are pretty much the same except in 2002, redesigned the headlights, rear valence and side skirts. To update the front end with OEM parts, it would cost upward of $5k plus labor.

I have not driven mine too much in the last couple of years. I am thinking about buying an E46 M3 for a daily driver so the NSX might be for sale.:frown:

11. LX_TREME

LX_TREME

12. LX_TREME

LX_TREME

Also some old pic about 9 years ago when we were in East Coast.One of my buddy NSX really pulled high end...175mph and my '95 Supra 6th gear just override :frown:

13. Bradass80

Bradass80

Well i'm probably leaning back torwards a Supra as my budget keeps me in the 91-92 range and after doing some research i see that the T-top wasn't introduced until 95, and i atleast want a t-top if not a convertable, i shouldn't get too decided until i actually drive an NSX the only one in my immediate area is an 02 and way out of my budget, Thanks Brad.

14. hoser

hoser SILVER Star

Yeah, go ahead and get a 91-92. I've driven a few of those. They are a lot less money to modify and maintain. They also have the dreaded Toyota head gasket issues but other than that, they are a pretty good bang for the buck. My only problem with them is that they weigh in pretty hefty.

If you want lightweight and convertible, I'd seriously consider an MR2 Spyder and then turbocharge it. Look into it. It's the next best thing to a Lotus Elise.