Actual Water Temps (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have done an LS swap, but used the original OEM sender, mapped to the usual dash gauge. The usual temp stabilizes at say 3:15 on the gauge (slightly below horizontal). However if I need to drop down to 4L, lock everything, temp jumps to about 2:00 on the stock gauge. Let’s say the “red” zone on the temp gauge is 1:00

Im a little concerned with the spike. I may need to upgrade my cooling system. I’m assuming my “normal” temp is around 180* -190*. Is anybody running the stock gauge and an aftermarket with actual temps, that can give me some idea what temps I’m actually operating at ?

Years ago, I had a scanguage propped in my 80’s ashtray. With smartphones & tablets, is there a better-value-for-the-money option ?

Bluetooth obd snanner port and andriod tablet or android head unit with torque pro app

IMG_6205.jpg

Your factory gauge is not a true reading. Has a flat spot from 170 to 210. Temp can fluctuate wildly in that range and you'll get no change. Get ODB reader as suggested

Your factory gauge is not a true reading. Has a flat spot from 170 to 210. Temp can fluctuate wildly in that range and you'll get no change. Get ODB reader as suggested

▲This▲ but it can be easily modded to eliminate the factory flat spot.

Do tell....

Get ready it noticeable with every degree change

I went this route, as have many others. The stock gauge us useless, but beware, once you install a real gauge, temp gauge paranoia is real. o_O

I did the resistor mod with my LS on the temp gauge. Stays at 195 pretty much no matter what. With the resistor mod, the gauge doesn't move from the rest position until around 160. 195 is just a tad past half way on the gauge. 230 is totally pegged in the red. I also painted the needles while I had the cluster apart. If your getting fluctuations try replacing the thermostat. They are extremely easy to replace. Also LS motors can be finicky about getting air bubbles from what I have read if you don't fill the system correctly sometimes. Undo the hose from the radiator, and fill the motor through the hose then plug into radiator and top off the radiator. Make sure your fan(s) are working correctly as well.

OBD2 Tourque Pro app has dismal reviews on the App Store. One or two positive, the rest one star and comments that it continually crashes. Is there one that works on the iPhone platform?

OBD2 Tourque Pro app has dismal reviews on the App Store. One or two positive, the rest one star and comments that it continually crashes. Is there one that works on the iPhone platform?

That's interesting as it's very stable on my Android device.

I don't run Torque very often so haven't bothered with setting up dedicated hardware for it but on the trips where I'm using nav, etc. on my phone and also wanting to monitor temps it would be nice to have Torque on it's own full-time device. For that reason I've been toying with using an old/cheap Android device to run Torque and it seems like this could be an option/workaround if you don't want to try to run Torque on an IOS device. The whole setup is so cheap though you can always try it and see how it works on your hardware/etc.

Also very stable on android galaxy phone. Used for years and its never crashed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom