ACSD again... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I removed it because it was holding the RPM high, the truck still starts fine in cold weather (tried it today down to -20 without a hitch).
The only problem it smokes (white) like a steam train until the engine is warm. Probably the timing is retarded (I guess the ACSD was there for a reason). Other than that it is all fine.

I am tired of sending smoke signals behind me all day and now wondering if I should buy a new ACSD. The P/N is: 22790‑17170
Any leads??

Cheers,

you could try advancing the timing just a hair and see what happens.

when I pulled my acsd, the tach stopped working. I suspect it was a coincidence and/or I got diesel on the connection and it needs cleaning.

I checked how to advance the timing in the FSM and was overwhelmed with the number of SST (service special tools) required. Can you coach me please on how to do it in layman terms with layman tools?
Cheers,

I checked how to advance the timing in the FSM and was overwhelmed with the number of SST (service special tools) required. Can you coach me please on how to do it in layman terms with layman tools?
Cheers,

See the bit about aligning the pump timing marks,its probably under installing the pump . Its just a matter of loosening the flange bolts(see below) and rotating it like a distibutor on a gas engine.
The marks are on the timing gear cover and pump flange.

Make sure you mark it before moving and I think there is some bolts underneath that may need to be loosened also.
I doubt it would need to be moved more than 1-2 mm either way

The "other timing" in the manual is all about internal adjustment
1HZ PICS 003 (Small).jpg

Thanks Rosco,
I think I found it in EM23 to EM26. But, how do you know where is the sweet spot for the timing?
They talk about using a dial gauge to adjust the plunger stroke. Is that it?? Excuse my lack of experience with this. It is a learning curve for me..

Cheers,

Thanks Rosco,
I think I found it in EM23 to EM26. But, how do you know where is the sweet spot for the timing?
They talk about using a dial gauge to adjust the plunger stroke. Is that it?? Excuse my lack of experience with this. It is a learning curve for me..

Cheers,

According to the old diesel mechanic who does pump work for me sometimes,they rarely need to be moved from the factory alignment marks.
I was thinking maybe it needs to go back to the marks as it may have been moved by someone else.

The dial guage work is best left to my old mechanic;) I wouldnt touch anything internal unless you understand all 70 odd pages in the fuel section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom