Across America (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone,
It's been a long time since my last post here. I was in the last preparation for my trip across America. I have finaly found my BJ60. A nice truck 1984 in pretty good shape. I have travel to halifax to get it. back in Montreal, i have put and OME suspension on it, rebuilt the radiator, put a new alternator and i have done a lot of job on all the underside to be shure everythings was going to be OK. I have put a champion whinch and a custom aloy roof rack that a friend of mine build. I am very happy with the BJ by now. I have been travelling for two week now. From Montreal, i have cross Canada and i am now in the city of White Horse in Yukon. here, the sun i on the sky from 4h30 am until 11h30 pm. Yep man, it's realy strange. The place is beautiful, lot's of mountain, canyon and big rivers.

I am here for one more day and than, i am heading to FairBank in Alaska.
I am thinking about going to see the artic ocean.

After that, i will be heading to the rookie and Vancouver. After that, i am going south to cross the USA on the west coast and than, all America until the Patagonia to see the antartic ocean.

I have a blog if you want to see some pictures. For now, the blog is only in french, my fisrt language but i will try to translate it during my trip.

I want to tank's all of you who gave me a lot of advices for the land cruiser and for my trip. A special tank to Romey who realy help me a lot with all my questions.

I will keep you in touch :)

have a great day.

My Blog: Être ici

See ya

Matthieu

I am trying to read your blog by using my high school french. Keep us posted, it certainly seems to be an adventure of a lifetime.

Frenchmen Canuks ;)

Matthieu

freetranslation.com. Much better, My French just sucks

Good travels ..
VT , Igloo Dweller also.

Last edited:
Post up if you come through Anchorage.

Pat

Oh man, awesome roadtrip this far!
I will definitely follow your travel, though I don't speak French.
Lucky you took pictures.
Have a safe journey!

-Thomas-

I did a very similar trip last year. If you want ideas or a comparison, I made a blog at:
fthis-imgoingtoalaska.blogspot.com

Bon chance, et bon voyage. J'ai etudie la francaise en ecole, mais je n'ais pas parle pendent dix ans. That's about the extent right now.

There are a lot of very cool cruiserheads throughout this country and in alaska. An invaluable resource on a trip like this.

An awesome trip Mathieu!! Keep the pics posted, for those of us that do not get to be in the Yukon and Alaska this year.
Cheers
Jesse

I am now in Dawson City, Yukon and heading to Fairbank Alaska tomorow morning.

My BJ60 is taking more diesel than i though, about 11.6 liter for 100km.
I keep the engine at around 2000 tour minute
Have 31 inch BF goodrich tire, a roofrack and i am load about 600lbs
What do you think about it ?

Have a good day to everyone,
Cheer's
Matthieu

A decent running BJ60 should get about 25mpg or better when running 2000rpm. If you're not getting that then there is a problem somewhere.

My bet, seeing as you are from the rust belt, is the rear brake bellcranks.

I cruiser_guy,
25 imperial or us gallon ?, that is about 9.4 liter for 100 km if it's in us gallon, i am far from this.
What is the rust belt and the rear brake bellcranks ?
Can i fix it and have a better fuel consumption ?
I am suppose to do 25 miles per gallons even with the roof rack, BF all terrain tire and load about 500lbs of stuck ?

Tank's for your help,

cheer's

Matthieu

yeah man, big trip. I am now in Faibank, Alaska and i am going to the artic ocean tomorow morning. It's a durt road for two days and two days back. Hope i will not get any flat ;) I will take pictures for you guys and posted them on my blog. Here, the light is always present, no darkness at all. Realy special.

Take care and have a good day
Cheer's

Matthieu

I think that it's time you posted some photos on here...

~john

I cruiser_guy,
25 imperial or us gallon ?, that is about 9.4 liter for 100 km if it's in us gallon, i am far from this.
What is the rust belt and the rear brake bellcranks ?
Can i fix it and have a better fuel consumption ?
I am suppose to do 25 miles per gallons even with the roof rack, BF all terrain tire and load about 500lbs of stuck ?

Tank's for your help,

cheer's

Matthieu

If your engine and drive train is in decent shape, your tires are at 32-35psi and you're keeping your speed moderate then 25mpg (US Gallon) should be achievable. The 3B likes to run at 2000 - 2200rpm for best fuel economy.

The "rust belt" is most all of eastern Canada and the mid-west and north-east US, basically wherever vehicles stay rust free until you drive them out of the showroom and they have holes in a year or two :).

If you want to fix the rear bell cranks you can stop by here if you want. If the bell cranks are stuck it's like having the rear brakes dragging all the time. You really need an FSM to ensure you put it all together again correctly.

You have a place to stay if you make it to the Kenai peninsula in Alaska........JGORDAN can tell you we have great hospitality here. He stopped in on his cross country trek...
Hello Jared!
Best of luck and enjoy your journey.

Hello every body,
I am back from the artic ocean in Prudhoe Bay Alaska. It was strange to be there. I had never think in my life to go so far north. The wind was cold, freezing my face. Ice on the water. It was very foggy, like in a dream. I am now beginning my way to the south. Going back to Whitehorse in Yukon, and then the rookie. After that, crossing the west coast of the US.

I will not go to the Kenai peninsula, short of time. Alaska60, tank s a lot for your invitation, i appreciate it.

Cruiser guy, i dont know if i will go to Canbrook but i i do, i will come to see you. My BJ is doing about 20 miles per gallon at the moment and i realy like this to be fix. Is it a big job ? My exaust systeme is not the original one. The muffler is a little bit smaller and there is a place wher the tube is a little bit smaller to. Do you think that this have in impact on that matter ? And i have to be in 4 speed to climb small hill, 3 speed to do medium hill and even in 2 speed to do big one. I dont know if it is suppose to be like this but i cannot imagine what it is going to be in the Andes of south america.

Take care everybody. I will soon translate my blog and here are some pictures.

Matthieu

The first picture is in the Yukon, mountain neer Whitehorse.
The is arrivaing in Alaska by the top of the road highway and the tird one is on the way to the ocean, pass the artic circle on the dalton higway.
Camion qui monte haut.jpg
IMGP3226.jpg
IMGP3283.jpg

This is a great thread. I like the pics. :clap:

I am going to move you over to Trails-Events-Expeditions since this thread is not really tall on Tech issues.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom