Ack! wife's 97 FZJ80 spraying fuel! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Alrighty, it's #3. I pulled the plugs this morning and #3 came out wet, smelling of gas and really clean! I'm having it hauled in to our mechanic for $30. There is a consensus on what the problem is as our mechanic guessed the same thing.

I tried tapping the injector to no avail. I was going to try to pull the power to it (which may or may not have helped), but it's #3 and under the TB which would be halfway to pulling it myself.

No smoke from the exhaust smoke to speak of and the overflow was a bit low, but a full radiator.

If any of you guys do end up needing injector rebuilds I very highly suggest RC Engineering out of Cali. I've had a couple sets cleaned by them and they came back flawless both times. They do cleaning and flow matching if you want that.

After trying a local place here in AZ with very poor results I've again resorted to using RC Engineering

http://www.rceng.com/

Just an update. We used our AMEX coverage for the tow and I was expecting a ~$30 charge. Ended up the entire $55 tow is free via AMEX -> Coachtech(sp?) -> Local tow company. That paid for the fee...at least this year.

How many miles, and what year is your truck? History?

DougM

Not to be "captin obvious" but could it be as simple as a spark issue so there is no ignition? It does seem to be excessive with the leaking at the manifold, so stuck injector sounds reasonable.

lcrob- Compaired to some of the minds here I might not be a guru, but I think I know my way around the 80 and 'yotas pretty well. If you ever need a hand I live just down I-35 in Schertz and always willing to lend a hand. Infact if you poke your head into the Lone Star Land Cruiser chapter down in the club corner you might find some of the other few loose knit San Antonio guys.

Benjamin

Doug,

97 FZJ80, 171K miles. We are the 3rd owner, first was a leasing company. 2nd was an officer in the USN and the cruiser spent a year in the UK where it appears to have gotten some quickly added front and rear fog lights and a switch stuck under the dash. (done at the customs?)

We got it in 05 w/151K miles specifically for the my wife who was expecting our first. I wanted her in a LC for obvious reasons and she had admired them for years.

As far as maintenance, we are pretty good on it as our LC is the low mileage vehicle in our stable: 297k, 262k, 171k...we like to keep them running.

PHH last year, fuel injector this year (so far) and a small leak in the front windshield at the top to go.

We like the LC so much we are considering a 2nd.

Thanks Benjamin! Matter of fact, our cruiser is in Schertz as we speak. Bob of Foreign Affair is our mechanic. If you are ever in NB, look for the greenie and that'll be us (or my wife at least!).

I considered doing it myself, but as my wife likes to say...I have way to many projects and almost no time anymore due to my business.

I pulled the plugs this AM and didn't see anything that looked wrong (intact, not burned, gapped right). I was thinking the same thing, would have loved a $2 fix.

Mechanic called and verified #3 was stuck, it unstuck, but wife says same thing has happened before once so they are getting replaced, all of em.

so the #3 injector was stuck on?

glad to see you caught this before it was a serious problem and could have really hurt someone.

Thanks Benjamin! Matter of fact, our cruiser is in Schertz as we speak. Bob of Foreign Affair is our mechanic. If you are ever in NB, look for the greenie and that'll be us (or my wife at least!).

I considered doing it myself, but as my wife likes to say...I have way to many projects and almost no time anymore due to my business.

I pulled the plugs this AM and didn't see anything that looked wrong (intact, not burned, gapped right). I was thinking the same thing, would have loved a $2 fix.

Mechanic called and verified #3 was stuck, it unstuck, but wife says same thing has happened before once so they are getting replaced, all of em.

Nice Rob...glad it was only a stuck injector.

Best.
-onur
Corrales, NM

Hate to bring up an old thread, but it's mine, so I don't feel so bad. Over the last year since this problem happened we have, as pointed out in previously, replaced all the injectors with new, I know we probably could have saved a boat load by rebuilding or such, but it's the wife's + daughter's vehicle so the only way to be sure "to take off and nuke the site from orbit." We have also replaced the ECU when it happened again last fall thinking that if it wasn't the injector itself, it must be being told to go full open.

About 30 minutes ago, thankfully in our driveway, it started again. #3 squirting gas from the exhaust flange. I pulled ECU-A and ECU-B independently and together to no avail.

Argh...any ideas?

Data point: Vehicle last driven 1.5 miles to and from the park 4.5 hours ago (3.0 miles total).

Does this mean #3 misfiring? Any code? I briefly ran through previous posts but did not see any mention of any issues with your wiring harness(es). Check the harness and the connectors, specially the one that travels in parallel with the fuel rail and has 6 connectors for the injectors. Also definitely the wiring loom that travels near the EGR pipe. If you can rule out that you don't have any burnt wires any where in the wiring harness, your problem might be else where. The best way to do this is check end to end connectivity between connectors. Also you can switch the #3 injector with any other one and see if you have the same problem. Just thinking out loud, hope this helps :cheers:

Id say poss wire shorting with a content hot in the harness
I would check the known offenders (ECM harness at the dash or the wires along the motor by the EGR )
Good luck with it .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom