Ack! wife's 97 FZJ80 spraying fuel! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When my wife came home this evening my daughter and I went out to greet her (we'd been playing in the sandbox) and the cruiser was missing and I noticed a bit of blue smoke when I told her to kill it.

After we got the daughter off to bed I went to investigate. On starting it feels like it's missing and the smell of gasoline is VERY strong. Shut it down and went and looked around. I found a suspicious new fluid on the end of the forward (seems there are 2 exhaust manifolds...one for front 3 and one for back 3 cylinders) and from looking down it appears to be flowing pretty freely. Looked under the cruiser and found the spot it hit in our asphalt and poked it, sure enough, melted...gas.

Restarted the cruiser and went around to look and there is a LOT of gas spraying out there. I'm not 100% sure it's right at the forward exhaust manifold/forward exhaust pipe fitting as I rushed back to kill the ignition, but it's definitely spraying/misting right in that area.

Before I go get the wrenches, my question is this to those of you who have spent much more time under the hood of a FZJ80 than I: Is this indicate any specific known/possible issue or does this point to anything?

Pics to follow.

Here are a couple of pics showing the area.
small-IMG_3097.jpg
small-IMG_3098.jpg

You need to take the cat shields off, turn the rig on, and then take a picture.

Ruadhigh and I are dealing with the same issue on his rig--pouring gas out of the #2 manifold-exhaust mating flange.

His truck also exhibited blue/white smoke that smelled like gas and oil.

But his also ate up a ton of coolant.....headgasket. We think he's got a blown #5 piston because he is getting serious #5 cylinder issues via OBD.

Anyway, we're slowly plugging away at tearing his truck down for the R/R.

Front shield off and here are the pics. I checked this time and the gas is in fact coming right from the flange.
small-101.jpg
small-107.jpg

Obviously, this is quite dangerous so proceed with caution. I'd think you'd get the same fuel flowing just by turning the key on, no?

I would pull the cat shields so you can see the leak origin, pull the spark plugs (one loosen up and now raw gas is coming up out of the spark plug hole) to see if one's obviously different, and then I'd get a hold of a fuel system pressure tester.

If you're leaking from the same flange Beno's talking about, you'll be getting intel from him. If you've got a spark plug loose/out easy fix. If your fuel system pressure drops fast after shut off (spec is in the FSM) you've got a fuel injector issue (my money is here).

Still no sign of anything amiss? Possible disaster with a piston - get a compression tester. Still nothing? Count on Beno.

I'd also check ALL your engine fluids to see if you're using coolant or oil or you have fluids mixed. Once you have this info, check back in.

My money is a stuck injector that's literally dumping fuel into the #1-3 cylinder. This is a very dangerous scenario, so keep a large capacity fuel-oil rated extinquisher handy and be sure your insurance is all paid up.

DougM

Beno,

Just a thought, but a blown piston would more likely put the fuel into the crankcase than successfully get it out the exhaust valve - depending on the size of the piston hole, of course. There will be more backpressure trying to shove it through the exhaust valve versus down through the piston (little backpressure into the crankcase).

If still zero problems identified, I'd take the injectors out and have them cleaned and be sure you label them and let the shop know you suspect one stuck open.

DougM

Obviously, this is quite dangerous so proceed with caution. I'd think you'd get the same fuel flowing just by turning the key on, no?

I would pull the cat shields so you can see the leak origin, pull the spark plugs (one loosen up and now raw gas is coming up out of the spark plug hole) to see if one's obviously different, and then I'd get a hold of a fuel system pressure tester.

If you're leaking from the same flange Beno's talking about, you'll be getting intel from him. If you've got a spark plug loose/out easy fix. If your fuel system pressure drops fast after shut off (spec is in the FSM) you've got a fuel injector issue (my money is here).

Still no sign of anything amiss? Possible disaster with a piston - get a compression tester. Still nothing? Count on Beno.

I'd also check ALL your engine fluids to see if you're using coolant or oil or you have fluids mixed. Once you have this info, check back in.

My money is a stuck injector that's literally dumping fuel into the #1-3 cylinder. This is a very dangerous scenario, so keep a large capacity fuel-oil rated extinquisher handy and be sure your insurance is all paid up.

DougM

Right on with what Brother DougM said.

The one thing I would check is to see if your wife noticed any movement with the temperature gauge or overheating issues? How's the over flow container--full/empty?

FYI: if you need to kill the fuel delivery system quick, pull the EFI fuse in the engine compartment fuse box. Then start her up and she'll peeter out.

Also, if you can, get an OBD scan if you have one yourself, or if you can get to an Autozone and have them pull...but I don't even know if I would want to drive that with fuel coming from a very, very hot section of the rig--mixture for disaster.

Let me know if I can help.
-onur
Corrales, NM

Last edited:
Beno,

Just a thought, but a blown piston would more likely put the fuel into the crankcase than successfully get it out the exhaust valve - depending on the size of the piston hole, of course. There will be more backpressure trying to shove it through the exhaust valve versus down through the piston (little backpressure into the crankcase).

If still zero problems identified, I'd take the injectors out and have them cleaned and be sure you label them and let the shop know you suspect one stuck open.

DougM

We thought of that Doug.

Ruadhigh's rig is doing the same thing only from the 4-5-6 exhaust flange. The only difference, is that his overflow was completely empty--i.e., where's the coolant going to? We did not want to drive the rig far with the gas pouring out like that, so we decided it was best to start tearing into it. Ruadhigh is going to get the injectors cleaned and redone through a company that Alia176 had do his injector's on his wife's 80 headgasket job.

Ruadhigh and I figured that we might as well attack it and get it over with, along with doing the injectors, etc. He's got another DD, so having the 80 down for a month or so while we plugged away at it wasn't a big deal....and, heck, we've got Mr. Dan and American Toyota 10 miles up the road here....:grinpimp:

Thanks both Beno and Doug. I've checked the fluids and nothing looks bad there. Oil a bit dirty, but due this month. Water looks good.

I have both the lc and house fire extinguishers outside in the driveway since I saw gas.

I did notice that the boot on #2 was loose, I pulled it up with just a bit of pressure. Reseated it and still same issue. I'm going to pull 1,2&3 plugs next I think, see if anything looks stupid wrong there.

DougM, I'm no getting fuel flow by just turning the key on, I tested this just now.

No fuel flow with key on still fits my theory, as I realized afterwards it would only start to flow after the cylinder filled up, then the engine would have to have stopped coincidentally with the exhaust valves open for fuel to begin overflowing the cylinder into the exhaust manifold. That's what is happening, just that cylinder airflow is pumping it as a mist.

If you turn the engine to 'on/run' w/o starting, an 80 pump will pressurize the system (whine from under fuel tank) then the fuel pump will shut off when system pressure is achieved until you start the engine and begin using fuel. Your pump should either keep going, or cycle on and off indicating that one of your injectors is pumping fuel into the cylinder and the pressure drops and is then restored by pumping in a constant cycle. Try this now. Be sure the EFI fuse is in, of course.

DougM

I think you've got injector issues.

Pull the throttle body, and the top half of the intake, pull the injector rail, send it in, have it cleaned and rebuilt.

Or,if you've got cash, have a good mechanic do it for you.

;)

If you pull your top half of the intake, while you're there, check your VSV and clean your EGR system. Also have a good look and your wire loom coming from the ECM to see if there is any wear/damage.

Beno and Doug have you covered; you're on the right track.

I tried checking for the pump running with the ignition in ON, but either it isn't running or I can't hear it...which is very probable. We have low cover tonight and the sound from the Interstate is really carrying plus thunder and wind all around. To top it off, I have hearing damage from to much center fire, not enough ear plugs. I tried a stick on the tank cover and frame member, but nothing conclusive.

Bummer. Yeah, the center fire will take the edge off things for sure. Hmm. That's going to be a VERY simple and effective test if you can find someone with ears to hear the pump. If the pump's cycling, then you've just got a stuck injector. Someone with OBD knowledge may be able to say whether the system's got the ability to not cycle when the engine is not running - that may be a safety feature?? Dunno. But the PRESENCE of cycling would make the injector about 100%.

Of course if you pull the front three spark plugs and find one with physical damage, then all bets are off until you open the head. That could be a spark plug tip coming adrift and knocking the nose off the injector, etc. So, pull the sparkplugs, and get someone without a penchant for gunpowder to listen for that pump.

DougM

Gonna hit the sack, looks like a long day tomorrow. Many thanks to Doug and Beno, you've been of immeasurable help!

A bit of reflection: I was supposed to be in Houston this week for my business, but I've been running a fever and am on antibiotics and decided to stay home. If I hadn't stayed home my wife would be taking the LC to our mechanic in the morning with our daughter buckled up in the back seat. Our mechanic is 15 miles away via interstate and with the fuel flow I saw, it could have been a very bad deal.

It sounds like we have the same problems LCRob. Hopefully yours doesn't inlcude a HG.
Not that it'll help much but here are some pics of my exhaust:
P1010851.jpg

P1010848.jpg

The exhaust manifold:
P1010832.jpg

and where the project is now:
P1010874.jpg

Hmm, if you're getting that much flow Rob, take heart it's looking more and more like an injector. If you want to get back on the road quickly, it's highly likely someone in your area can clean and flow them in a one day turnaround. Call a few mechanics and ask who they use, then call the shop and explain your predicament.

DougM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom