Accidentally added a quart of coolant to transmission. What should I do next? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just got off the phone with a shop and they said that since it was not turned on, I was instructed to drain the pan before a flush. The quart I added through the dip stick tube ran right into the pan and didn't touch the inner components, thus I was instructed to just drain the pan, then refill, then like jpool suggested drain the pan again and refill. At that point, I could then take it in for a full flush, which the shop said was not needed. :meh:
Fair enough. Id probably do it anyway. Write it off as PM.

Fair enough. Id probably do it anyway. Write it off as PM.
Just did this as a PM not so long ago which is what prompted the level check. Fluid is still perfectly translucent pink and smells like celery.
Good thing you didn’t check the transmission fluid level the correct way. Lol

(engine running)
I did do this after driving for a while to get it up to running temp and checked with car running and on level ground. Dipstick measured at the cold mark. So I shut it off and continued checking rest of fluids.
I then added a quart of coolant to transmission! :bang:

When you are done, poke yourself in the eye really hard for not paying attention. After that, your paranoia about doing permanent damage will bug you for the next 15yrs.:rofl:

Last edited:
That is a damn honest shop, I am very impressed. Take them some work that you actually need, and give them all the positive word of mouth that you can.

FYI, you almost recreated the Achilles heel of automatic 3rd gen 4Runners, the Strawberry Milkshake. Trans cooler in the radiator breaks, mixes coolant and transmission fluid., destroys transmissions.

Glad you skirted any major issues.

Jason

Turns out the trans pan is angled downhill from the drain plug. Had to jack the car up 8 inches!
E20C8AC6-ECC4-4824-B6F6-1D802105597C.jpeg

When you are done, poke yourself in the eye really hard for not paying attention. After that, your paranoia about doing permanent damage will bug you for the next 15yrs.:rofl:
I call these f👏🏻ck-ups Dadisms : trying to do too many things at once, when tired, and not wearing my readers. 🤓

Everything I read and all the videos say add 4qts. But my owners manual says 2 qts. What say you all?
3CBA392F-E7A5-427F-8338-3C8B149C96EC.jpeg

I've been doing the drain/refill annually for 5 or 6 years now and it's pretty close to 4 qts on my '97 1FZFE with A343.
Roger that. Going with 4 qts.

Late to the party, but Ditto on what others have said.

After flushing out the pan you could do a "Rodney Flush" if you felt it necessary:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom