Accidental Drain And Fill (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It was late, there was something in my eye, or for some other reason, I pulled the transmission drain plug when I meant to pull the transfer case plug. Doh! So it looks like I'm doing a drain and fill on the transmission. Not a big deal. However, many posts I read said measure how much came out and put that much back in. Well, that didn't happen.

I've searched and found different answers on how much I should expect to put back in. My rig is a '93, and I've seen various answers including 3.2 quarts, 4 quarts, and 6 quarts. So which is it? Any tricks to filling it back up?

One more question: Is the washer on the drain plug a crush washer like on the axles or is it an aluminum one like on the transfer case? As always, TIA.

4 QT's ish on the trans. drain/refill and it's a crush washer on the trans. drain plug.

Start with 4 drive till warm and check level warm with dip stick. I've never measured fluid level taken out.

If you didn't measure, I would start with 3 qts. Go thru the FSM or owners manual to check the fluid level.

I would rather be slightly low to start, easier to add a little than remove a little.

And as others mentioned, use the correct washer.

Start with 3 quarts and drive around the block a couple times and then check the level. The FSM said my last '94 took just over 4 quarts for a drain and refill so I started with 4 thinking I'd have space to slowly top it off to the right level and it was way overfilled. Luckily I was working at a shop at the time and we had the tool for sucking fluid out of the dip stick tube. It is much easier to slowly fill it to the right level than it is to try and drain a little out of the trans.

Awesome. Will pickup some ATF and since I have a crush washer, I'll go ahead and replace the old one while I'm there. Thanks to everyone.

Every time I have done it I end up with at least a gallon to bring it back up to proper level.

I've never replaced the washer on my plug.

Should I check my PHH??????

The crush gasket on the trans pan is the rolled steel type, same as what is used on the axles. The transfer fill and drain are aluminum and require more clamping force to seal properly.

BE CAREFUL WITH THE TRANS DRAIN TORQUE. they are very low torque for such a large socket, very easy to strip, and a colossal pain in the ass if you have to repair those threads.

The A442F drain and fill is 6.3 quarts

This has been my experience with the A442F.

Everyone needs to keep in mind 93-94 has a different transmission than 95-97 (A343F). The A442F is a significantly larger transmission, including the pan.

That said.. can't hurt to start with 4 and go up from there.

I would check the FSM for proper torque specks. IIRC tranny pan and engine oil pan both spec much lower than transfer and did plugs.

Ding, ding, ding. PPC wins! It took over 6 quarts. Funny thing is that I happened to be looking in the little owners manual after I was done. There it was. It said a drain and fill is 6.5 quarts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom