accident- body advice, and crumpled dissent. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
it's depressing, but here it is.
I'm not sure if I'm going to fix myself and then take it out to the body place, or just tow it 400miles and drop it off. There's more damage than I thought.
It is derivable though. No leaks or anything radiator, tranny, AC line related. I drove it another 200 afterward. The other headlight is barely hanging on there though.

need a new bumper and another set of headlights to transfer all the guts to pronto.
right fender, fender stand offs, center vertical, that long lengthwise piece that sits right behind the bumper.
The lower metal trim pieces that sit below the headlights on 2005+ ANy other parts you guys see?
BenC's bumper is not salvageable. I'm surprised it was able to twist up like that. I'm sure it would have been worse without that steel there.
LOuisiana state patrol said I needed a real steel bumper as I was trying to take the passenger side off so I could drive off the road. He had a 40 he was telling me about and was a cool guy. The actual st tammany parish cop that wrote the report was not so cool. He was gracious enough to give me a careless operation ticket. Thank you Sir.
More money more money more money.

I'll buy another front bumper I just can't wait six months. I'll call you Ben , or email or something.

IMG_20180910_163440.jpg

IMG_20180910_133759.jpg

IMG_20180910_163501.jpg

IMG_20180910_163448.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

Last edited:
Not cool! I'm sure your bumper saved what could have been worse damage.

Off topic: Did you do your own retrofit? Which projectors did you go with?

Ouch!

Out of curiosity, what did the bumper make contact with, that was able to twist it like that?

It looks like the primary point of contact was on the passenger side recovery point?

Damn, thats my nightmare right there but it looks like the cruiser did its job amd kept you guys safe.

Two questions,

How did the other car fare?
Why did he mention that you get a steel bumper? Did you have the aluminum dissent?

no he said, 'get a real steel bumper' I sort of just laughed a little. Maybe the way I lifted the wing off made him think it was light. idk. I have the steel one, he just didn't realize, or thought it was something else.

yes passenger side recovery was first contact.

I didn't do the HIDs, but they're d2s. I now have to order another set of depos. Drivers side might be savable moving the guts to a stock bucket, IF the clear plastic depo cover fits the OEM black housing. I'll know soon enough.

650 in parts so far not including bumper and lights. so say 2300 or so with lights and another bumper. Paint also. I don't think the passenger fender is workable.

here's the jeep I hit. odd it looks not too bad. She was rolling, I was locked up. I think Ben's bumper sort of rolled up after hard contact with the hitch frame.

@ibrahim83 @jLB @knewstance @benc

Untitled3.jpg

Last edited:
Damn. Any idea how fast you were moving? I wonder if you had a fully bumper guard if it would not have twisted.

IMHO, it appears the Dissent did its job, aka took the brunt of force instead of transferring the force to passengers and the Frame. I am just surprised to see how littve visbile damage was done the the cherokee.

I was as wel at first glance but based on the description, @jerryb 's rig was probably pitched nose down from the hard braking, putting the dissent squarely in line with the tow hitch crossmember. The vertical support of the dissent bull bar put that crease in the jeeps bumper. The main shell made contact with the horizontal beam.

Seeing this, it confirms my next piece of armor will be from @benc ....imo, this is what bumpers should do. Protect at low speeds bumping into things and scraping rocks, yet increase impulse (force x time) at higher speeds with impacts into other vehicles, walls, ets. Otherwise, that force is transferred to the pink squishy things inside the metal cage.

Edit: just re-read the posts and realize we made the same points...I'm dumb:deadhorse:

she stopped to merge on a non merge lane. meaning there was another lane to just keep going at a freeway exit ramp. then she started again and was moving forward, and I went also. then she stopped again as I was looking at a white audi s7. she was rolling after a stop and i was off the accelerator and on the brakes, then impact. She had command of the lane. That's what they will say. If my liability premium doubled it wouldn't matter to me. Which Is why i haven't called her yet. Even though it would be easy and cheaper. I'm probably to wired up to do anything rational at the moment anyway.

Last edited:
im so ****ing pissed, but hey, depo headlights for 06-07 are 122$ each on amazon. And they are pretty darn good for what they are.

get me a bumper that I don't have to fiking wait 6 months for and Ill be fine.

I like the look of the Slee Blueberry, Ben’s Dissent, and the remade TJM T17, but there’s something to be said for the ARB’s availability. Ordered my son’s at the local 4WP, had it in hand in 24 hours (had to pay sales tax, but no shipping fee).

4x4 Labs, BIO ........

I'm in the same boat. Ordered in May and getting it Thursday (fingers crossed ups doesn't pull a ups).
Meanwhile my coworker ordered a tjm last week and got it yesterday. I went with Ben because it's customizable and i like to support people like him.

Even slee is super fast, they had my sliders in my city in 5 days before ups decided to sit on them for two weeks.

We're going to install the tjm this week, hopefully it's nice, especially for the cost, 750 shipped. But it's Chinese made.

If i were to do it again, i might go through slee for how quick they are and having firsthand experience with their bumpers, they're tanks and weigh as much too.

This is your opportunity to try something new, especially if you don't want to wait.

I ordered the tjm 17 yesterday. I actually ordered everything to fix this mistake. EVEN a retail MSRP toyota fender. I'm at $1740 for new lights, fender, tjm, and all the small metal bits. ($373)

I would have bought another bumper from Ben, there's just too long of a wait. I need something to bolt up and check the fit with all the other stuff behind it. I want the whole thing getting painted next week.

I'm glad I had the dissent. I believe I'd need a lot more parts than just $373 in brackets if I had a regular plastic or something else not that strong.

Reactions: jLB
it's depressing, but here it is.
I'm not sure if I'm going to fix myself and then take it out to the body place, or just tow it 400miles and drop it off. There's more damage than I thought.
It is derivable though. No leaks or anything radiator, tranny, AC line related. I drove it another 200 afterward. The other headlight is barely hanging on there though.

need a new bumper and another set of headlights to transfer all the guts to pronto.
right fender, fender stand offs, center vertical, that long lengthwise piece that sits right behind the bumper.
The lower metal trim pieces that sit below the headlights on 2005+ ANy other parts you guys see?
BenC's bumper is not salvageable. I'm surprised it was able to twist up like that. I'm sure it would have been worse without that steel there.
LOuisiana state patrol said I needed a real steel bumper as I was trying to take the passenger side off so I could drive off the road. He had a 40 he was telling me about and was a cool guy. The actual st tammany parish cop that wrote the report was not so cool. He was gracious enough to give me a careless operation ticket. Thank you Sir.
More money more money more money.

I'll buy another front bumper I just can't wait six months. I'll call you Ben , or email or something.

View attachment 1786235

View attachment 1786236

View attachment 1786237

View attachment 1786238

View attachment 1786239

I was on the same boat several months back. Instead I was rear ended by a PT Cruiser at about 50mph, I saw him coming and attempted to move to the right while he hit me on the left side instead of full hit on the center of the back bumper. At impact my car moved like 15 feet forward. ARB rear bumper saved my LX from frame or any other damage; no injuries either Since it wasn't my fault, I had the bumper replaced. Of course it took 1.5 months to get a replacement bumper and another month to powder coat and install. Very frustrating ordeal because no body shop wanted to work on my LX. Being a lifted 10" with 38" tires nobody wanted to touch it. I'm sure my lift helped lessen the damage as well. The other car was for sure totaled!!

IMG_4593.JPG

IMG_4650.JPG

IMG_4651.JPG

IMG_4586.JPG

Good to hear all parties involved are okay and you are getting the cruiser put back together.

I am actually surprised ben's bumper rolled up like that, especially with the minimal damage done to the XJ. Do you know the fate of the XJ? Asking because I have a few parts XJ's and would love to get it and repair.

I have an email too the owner, I don't know if progressive will total it. it's a beat 2002, how much is it worth? it need a new bumper cover and whatever is behind it. And the hatch has a very serious and deep crease. Although I could open and close it for her. if anywhere near 2, 2.5k I'm guessing, it's totaled? I don't really know.

It looks like your passenger side frame horn is bent pretty bad, no? Is the driver's side also bent towards the outside? Is that why the driver's wing of the bumper is bent down? So tough to judge forces involved from after-the-fact pictures, but it "looks" like all the force hit the vertical part of the Dissent, and the center section gave way, allowing the twisting of the frame horn, and pushed the entire bumper to the left a bit? Trying to decide if that's a "good thing" or a "bad thing" in terms of aftermarket bumper performance... Maybe it's just "a thing"...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom