Accessory wiring in an 80 WWYD? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

musthave

Doc says I'm 1 in 120K. Lucky?
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Building out a 97 80 series and have some choices to make. Installing a Prinsu roof rack. For lighting I'm installing 3 JW Speaker worklights on left side, 3 on the right side, 2 on the rear. Also installing a Vision X light bar on the front. I'm going to use a few of the Scansstrut wiring pieces to go through the roof with the wiring. I'm considering options on the wiring and curious to know what others are doing these days for a rather intense light setup. The worklights are 5a max each, the Halo light is 8a max.

1. Run 3 14/3 cables to provide the 12v+ to each of the 9 lights. Run a 4th 14/3 cable as a negative and split it topside to each of the lights.(a little trickier for troubleshooting, less holes in the roof)
2. Run separate 14/2 cables for each light (easier to maintain, requires 9 cables though)

Other ideas?

Also, typically I run shielded cable and then put it in wire loom. For this many lights I think that's the best way to go. Cables in wire loom that make a circle basically around the roof and provide power to all the lights.

I'm open to suggestions and ideas, curious to see / hear what others have done.

The Jeep guys seem to be into remote switching systems. So a controller, possibly wireless, in the cabin, and a smart switch system in the engine compartment or wherever is nearest to the auxiliary devices you're powering. In this case, you could mount it on/under the roof rack and then only need to run power and ground through the body.

Either way, I personally would only run one ground wire and might just ground to the roof rack itself.

Other ideas?

Take a teaspoon of cement each night with your dessert until you harden up and aren't afraid of the dark.
Then you won't need to wire in enough lights to light up The Swamp :lol:

images.jpeg

If a remote system is used, you only need two power wires run up there to a junction box that splits off the power.
And a shielded signal bundle for however many circuits are up there.

If running individual illuminated switches hard mounted in the cab you end up with 3 wires per switch through the firewall, out to relays with two wires per lighting circuit up to a junction were they split again two wires per light.

How many circuit are you planning, based on the description I'm guessing three or four. Front, Lt & Rt sides, Rear or Ft, Lt, Rt, Rr.

If a remote system is used, you only need two power wires run up there to a junction box that splits off the power.
And a shielded signal bundle for however many circuits are up there.

If running individual illuminated switches hard mounted in the cab you end up with 3 wires per switch through the firewall, out to relays with two wires per lighting circuit up to a junction were they split again two wires per light.

How many circuit are you planning, based on the description I'm guessing three or four. Front, Lt & Rt sides, Rear or Ft, Lt, Rt, Rr.
I'm going to get the Switch-Pros 9100, mounted under the hood with the @Delta VS mount, with the controller mounted in the cab with the Ashtray mount from @NLXTACY . One circuit for right, one for left, one for rear, one for front. So, 4 circuits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom