Accessory Tie Rod Steering Stabilizer? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm soon to be replacing shocks, steering stabilizer, and leaf springs on my FJ40. When I got it from prior owner, it came with a secondary/accessory steering stabilizer that attaches via bracket to the tie rod. It either needs to be replaced or removed as it's shot and isn't doing anything for the vehicle in its present state.

Is there any reason to replace this?

I've seen a couple of options online but the more I read, the more it seems this accessory steering damper is unnecessary.

Thanks for any wisdom offered.

I haven't had a steering damper installed on my 40 in a few years, if the front end is in good condition it will be fine.

My 2 cents: Stock steering has too many middle men (moving parts) between the steering wheel and tire, soooo unless everything is brand new/fresh/tight, and with very good alignment, a steering stabilizer should be required. Then add 33"- 40" tires that want to walk all over the road and you'll want a stabilizer. Then consider the stabilizer shocks last about 1 year max when you have big tires, you'll keep needing a fresh stabilizer shock.

My 2 cents: Stock steering has too many middle men (moving parts) between the steering wheel and tire, soooo unless everything is brand new/fresh/tight, and with very good alignment, a steering stabilizer should be required. Then add 33"- 40" tires that want to walk all over the road and you'll want a stabilizer. Then consider the stabilizer shocks last about 1 year max when you have big tires, you'll keep needing a fresh stabilizer shock.

👍 and they are relatively inexpensive so why not?

Thanks so much. I’ve got 33” tires and I’ll definitely keep a steering stabilizer in the stock position but do you also use the accessory tie rod-affixed stabilizer as well?

^^^The stock steering stabilizer was shot when the rig was just 2-3 years old, it is now 'excess baggage".

I have mine in the stock position. if you don’t use the stock stabilizer then you need an adapter kit. I bought one from CCOT but my stabilizer from Iron Man actually came with the same thing. I would think just replacing the old stock one is good enough.

073B6DBB-F190-483B-BFA6-1784E4FB6950.jpeg

I have mine in the stock position. if you don’t use the stock stabilizer then you need an adapter kit. I bought one from CCOT but my stabilizer from Iron Man actually came with the same thing. I would think just replacing the old stock one is good enough.

View attachment 2279601
Do you have a picture of how this is hooked up? I still have the mount on my frame, but the PO did a power steering conversion so I have no clue how to hook this up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom