Accessory Panel Unit for the center console- need feedback

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Supporting Vendor

Now that the lock box thread was started up in the 100s forum by @mr jits there seems to be a fair amount of interest in having a specific APU, in this case APU4, and if I am going to go this route I needed to get some feedback from you guys being as I don't have a 100 and I'm not sure what is a super necessity or not. This would be for the 1998-2002 100 Series since the 2003-2007 had a redesign and it turns out my existing APU1 and APU2 fit those applications really damn well.

As a recap here is what the APU1 and APU2 would look like in the later model 100 series, from this thread:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/100-series-lockbox-thread.857088/

Along with the console liner as well:

Now here is what the same APU2 would look like in the early model 100 Series:

As you can see it "technically" fits but its just not as clean and it doesn't look purpose built. So I've decided that I will go ahead and design a panel that will fit the early 100s but I will need some of your feedback if I'm going to do this.

1. Does the panel HAVE to accommodate the bottom notch or can it go straight across?
Screen Shot 2015-05-20 at 1.36.42 AM.png

2: what type of stuff would I need to accommodate for? Just the standard knife, LED light, Tire gauge, pen, pencil? Or is there something in particular to the 100s that most of you carry? Mother of Pearl caviar spoon? Cigar holder? :flipoff2: Here is an example of what the stuff would look like installed.
Screen Shot 2015-05-20 at 1.25.52 AM.png

I can start getting these made very soon so long as I get some feedback and some interest.

Oh wow that looks awesome! The only thing I'd be concerned about is on the LX's, a lot of us disc changers in the second compartment taking up a lot of usable space (and thus reducing the clearance between the bottom of the top lid-compartment thing and the compartment itself. The upper compartment also has a cup holder on the top lid, but I've never used it.

It's really easy to yank the top cup holders out. I did it a few weeks ago without much drama. Having one of these APU's in there over the cup holder would be a much better use of the space anyway. Those cup holders aren't that practical.

I like it, and I see no reason why the bottom notch needs to be included in the design. That area can simply be used for longer items as you showed in your design. Make 'em!

Edit: Forgot to ask if the liner is good for all years 100 series? I like that thing a lot as well.

CreeperSleeper

Cascade Cruisers

1. Does the panel HAVE to accommodate the bottom notch or can it go straight across?

2: What type of stuff would I need to accommodate for? Just the standard knife, LED light, Tire gauge, pen, pencil? Or is there something in particular to the 100s that most of you carry? Mother of Pearl caviar spoon? Cigar holder? :flipoff2: Here is an example of what the stuff would look like installed.
1. I think straight across makes the most sense. The longer items are going to block that space anyway, so the only point would be for looks.

2. I can't think of anything special you would need to accommodate for. Other than the standard stuff, I carry a allen wrench for my HAM antenna mount and a 1/2" wrench to adjust things on my roof rack. Both of those will easily be taken care of with the design you have.

I'm stoked to see this! I think I want the APU4, the mat, and whatever this one is:

That would solve all of my OCD dreams. LOL!

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Supporting Vendor

Oh wow that looks awesome! The only thing I'd be concerned about is on the LX's, a lot of us disc changers in the second compartment taking up a lot of usable space (and thus reducing the clearance between the bottom of the top lid-compartment thing and the compartment itself. The upper compartment also has a cup holder on the top lid, but I've never used it.
Thanks. The distance between the lid and the top of the disc changer is damn near 1.5". This would be plenty of space to allow the panel to hang down with tools loaded. It cracks me up that on the 80s we all go out of our way to get as many cupholders as humanly possible because there are none. The 100 guys are all like, "eh, I don't use THAT set of double cupholders because I have THIS set of double cup holders or THOSE sets of double cup holders to choose from" :flipoff2:

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Supporting Vendor

It's really easy to yank the top cup holders out. I did it a few weeks ago without much drama. Having one of these APU's in there over the cup holder would be a much better use of the space anyway. Those cup holders aren't that practical.
Yeah just looks like two roll pins and its out. The placement of that particular cup holder didn't really makes sense to me when I saw it. I guess I'm not an outlier ;)

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Supporting Vendor

I like it, and I see no reason why the bottom notch needs to be included in the design. That area can simply be used for longer items as you showed in your design. Make 'em!
1. I think straight across makes the most sense. The longer items are going to block that space anyway, so the only point would be for looks.
Yes, I agree its not really needed but I'm thinking that it might look better. More finished. Trying to decide if more people would appreciate have the notch added in or not.

Edit: Forgot to ask if the liner is good for all years 100 series? I like that thing a lot as well.
The liner I have done is only for 2003-2007 100s. I need to get my hands on a 1998-2002 so that I can pattern out that one.

2. I can't think of anything special you would need to accommodate for. Other than the standard stuff, I carry a allen wrench for my HAM antenna mount and a 1/2" wrench to adjust things on my roof rack. Both of those will easily be taken care of with the design you have.
Cool

I'm stoked to see this! I think I want the APU4, the mat, and whatever this one is:

That would solve all of my OCD dreams. LOL!
This is the APU2: http://absolute-wits-end.com/accessory-panel-unit-5x8-5/ but since that tray is single wall plastic without the air gap it means you *could* use the supplied self-tapping screws but then the screw points would be sticking up in the corners. So you could instead use the machines screw option or the VHB option. The VHB snaps do not have long term testing on them so I don't know exactly how long they will hold up. But that stuff is pretty bad ass so....

If you are already taking orders for the upper console liner I will buy one. If not, when do you think they will be available?

CreeperSleeper

Cascade Cruisers

Yes, the notch would look more finished... However, if you are using it, it will be covered up by your crap and you won't see it anyway!

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Supporting Vendor

If you are already taking orders for the upper console liner I will buy one. If not, when do you think they will be available?
The console liners I would need to be silkscreened and cut. It could be quick but I would prefer to get all of the options of consoles going so that I can do them in one shot and gang the run. Still need an early model 100 console so that I can do that ;)

TheForger

SILVER Star

I would be interested in one with the notch included, although it's not a deal breaker. It looks more finished that way and it would prevent the end of the longer items such as a tire pressure gauge from rattling against the plastic.

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Supporting Vendor

Well I did have a thought after playing with this. I could reach a much broader audience by removing the notch and just keeping it a rectangular panel. Then anyone can use it for other purposes. The notch makes it look pimp in the 100 but then it would look odd anywhere else. Some guys have been attaching them to their drawers. Still deciding.

Well I did have a thought after playing with this. I could reach a much broader audience by removing the notch and just keeping it a rectangular panel. Then anyone can use it for other purposes. The notch makes it look pimp in the 100 but then it would look odd anywhere else. Some guys have been attaching them to their drawers. Still deciding.
While I really don't care if it's notched at all, you do already have other similar sized products that are more "universal". Just food for thought.

Top Bottom