Accessories - do you use these? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My new cruiser has the sunroof guard on it but not the bug deflector. I have never been a big fan of extras like this b/c they can cause slight abrasions where they seal but i wanted to get some thoughts? you guys use one or the other, both or none? why?

Mine has neither...

yahtzee said:
My new cruiser has the sunroof guard on it but not the bug deflector. I have never been a big fan of extras like this b/c they can cause slight abrasions where they seal but i wanted to get some thoughts? you guys use one or the other, both or none? why?

I'm not sure I understand what you're talking about, is it the OEM Toyota shield over the sunroof? In either case, it was the first thing that came off my truck when I bought it.
Sold it on e-bay for few bucks :)

I think they are nice to have. Open your sunroof and see if it vibrates, if not leave it alone. Mine came with the bug deflector. Looks good and helps keep the bugs off the windshield. All personal preference

My sunroof vibrated, so I stuck one on.

The bug guard? Fawk that thing. :D

I use a bug deflector because I'm in the car business & see every day what bug juice can do to hoods. My wife is the main driver of the cruiser & she sure as hell isn't going to wash it.

Mine came with both, but the PO had tightened the sunroof wind guard down too much and it warped. So it was the first to go. I like the way it looks better without it and it feels like my sunroof is bigger now. I was thinking about removing the bug guard, but it just seems to work too damn well.

LonghornCruiser said:
I was thinking about removing the bug guard, but it just seems to work too damn well.

just curious - have you noticed any damage from the bug deflector or if its more difficult to clean under?

Yeah, I haven't noticed any damage at all. It doesn't touch the top side of the hood. Still enough room to get my hand in there to wipe it down when cleaning. Only problem I've noticed is that it collects leaves in the fall. They all go flying out when I spray the hose in there.

Can someone post a picture of there rig with the toyota bug shield. Has any one found an aftermarket bug shield that follows the hood contor that they like? I have a cabelas bug shield on my Tacoma which is great, but they dont make one for the landcruiser.

The sunroof thing vibrates above the posted speed limit so it had to come off. ;<)

I do not like bug guards so that came off as well.

Can someone post a picture of there rig with the toyota bug shield. Has any one found an aftermarket bug shield that follows the hood contor that they like? I have a cabelas bug shield on my Tacoma which is great, but they dont make one for the landcruiser.

Here you go:

IMG_1205.jpg

Oregon thanks that looks great.

Anyone have an OEM toyota bug shield they want to get rid of?

what's that stove pipe you have coming out of the right hand rear?
Got some BBQ happening in the back?
:D

cheers
peter

Ha! I think that's a street light. I didn't actually take that picture, it was a pre-buy shot from the PO (hence the old Cali plates), but it was the only one I have clearly showing the bug shield.

In Oregon the DOT uses gravel during the winter (versus salting the roads) so you either get a "bug guard" or you get a bazillion rock chips in the front of your hood (not to mention cracked headlights and make sure you get glass insurance through your carrier, I usually go through one a year in all of my rigs). The OEM guard through Toyota was only like $100 when I bought it 5 years ago or so.

don't have either...my ARB front bumper is at the same height as my hood, so i think a bug guard would be pointless...

get an arb instead of a bug guard:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom