Acceptable level of corrosion? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone. I recently moved to Japan. I had to sell my built Tacoma when I came here. Off road trails are few and far between here but I really miss having a proper 4x4. I am looking at an 80 series nearby that looks pretty good and is a decent price. Is a 1994, 4.5 with 200k on it. It has a bit of rust, especially on the exhaust and fittings. My big concern is that the aluminum head and intake have a good amount of corrosion. Should I be concerned about this? truck is a good price for here, around 2.3 million yen ($17k). Thanks in advance!
GE13889.jpeg
GE138812.jpeg
GE1388L.jpeg
GE138810.jpeg

Doesn't appear to be much to worry about. Aluminum won't be difficult to clean up.

Check the rocker panels, rear; check the lift gate around the rubber glass gasket, look up where the spare tire is mounted, drop the spare to get a better look if you can,. Remove the cargo area side panels and reach down to feel the bottoms/sides of the quarter panel cavities for rust, take photos. The transfer case looks like the other aluminum parts, check the bolt heads, brackets, brake lines, ----

Looks like the previous owner parked it outside and lived close to the ocean.

Last edited:
I went and checked it out and the rust was more than I was willing to deal with. The frame looked good overall but many of the bolts were so corroded they looked like they would have to be drilled out. It was almost like some sort of galvanic corrosion was going on. The aluminum was much worse than the frame which I have never seen before.

The search continues I appreciate everyone's advice!

It would be a hard pass for me.

It's either copped a LOT of salt, or someone's cleaned it repeatedly with a highly caustic degreaser and striped the natural oxide coating off the aluminium
There's no fixing that. Corrosion will continue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom