Accelerator pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Picked up my first cruiser the other day, 71 FJ-40. Runs pretty strong but a few days ago it would'nt start until I hit it with some starting fluid.

A peek down the carb revealed that the accelerator pump wasn't pumping. So I pulled the top of the carb off and inspected the pump plunger. The leather gasket was pretty worn and had curled back in one spot. I uncurled it and re-inserted the plunger. Worked it gently by hand and could move some gas, but as soon as I put the carb top back on it was good for only a couple pumps before failing again.

Is the leather plunger part of a carb rebuild kit? The carb is pretty dirty, but other than the accel pump doesn't really need a full rebuild right now.

Also, my Haynes (don't have an FSM yet) shows a spring under the pump. Mine didn't have one, operating solely by the linkage. Is this a big deal?

TIA

All the kits I've used have had an entire new accelerator pump. Yes there is a spring that's suppused to be there. The carb just may be gooped up, the check ball rusted or stuck to the bottom of the acc pump chamber. Just get a good kit abd some Berryman's and rebuild it.

GL

Ed

Thanks for the info. Glad to hear that the pump is available by itself, but I think I'll go for a whole rebuild kit and just get it over with. Now i just need to find a spring.

Ive got a pump and a spring, I think. I have to go out and check. Where are you? But you might as well get a kit.

Ed
Kansastitty

I was just about to pull the trigger and get the kit, but saw SOR had one kit for 10/69-9/71 carbs, and one for 10/71-9/72. the pictures looked pretty identical to me. I'm guessing a difference in jet sizes or something?

My Cruiser is a "71", which kit do I go for, or is there some numbering on the carb itself that would give me a hint?

Oh yeah, I'm in Tucson and itching to get out and do some desert driving.

'69 was a strange year for carbs. You might want to take a pic of the carb and post it.

Ed

Robert LaDuke said:
If your carb and engine are original to the truck , you can look up the month of production here:

http://www.sor.com/fengine.html

Great link. Looks like my production month was around 7, so I'll go for the earlier kit

I'll post a picture, but the numbers off the top of the carb are "1B5 ISO". I'm guessing it's stock, but there's been a lot of opportunity for change in the last 30 years or so.

azlar said:
I'll post a picture, but the numbers off the top of the carb are "1B5 ISO". I'm guessing it's stock, but there's been a lot of opportunity for change in the last 30 years or so.
FWIW, the date code translates to 1971 Feb 5th.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom