Accelerator Pump Question? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.aceoverland.com
Hello! Proud owner of an 84 fj60. Previous owner replace stock carb with Manafre Weber carb, with electric choke. My question is three part:

Is this the Accelerator Pump? If not, can you council me on what that part is?

Secondly, is there any reason for this to be warm to the touch? Warm enough for me to be concerned enough to post about it..

The truck has been parked for over 12 hours. Everything else is cool to the touch.

Lastly, my key slot never goes past the ACC - could this be causing unnecessary drain on my battery, as well as the warming of this part?

Thanks for your time everyone, this forum has been a wealth of knowledge so far!

805AFA5F-EF5C-49A6-888A-D6538D53C505.jpeg

EF0FE90F-9C12-4C82-ADA3-20F3D7214851.jpeg

4E4DE6B7-C68C-4446-A7A2-876CFBF44BDF.jpeg

The part you're ointing to in the first pic is the electric choke. If it's hot after 12 hours it must be stuck on and continuing to heat , this would cause a current draw.

All I can tell you is that, as I understand the operation, the choke contains a bi-metal coil that is connected to the choke plate to open it in the first few minutes. The choke is heated electrically when the ignition is turned on. Look for something that is sticking and keeping the electrical connection closed after the ignition is turned off.

That makes sense. If it is as you say, and the choke is heated electronically by the ignition.. Could it be, that my key slot on steering column not going past the ACC location is keeping the "electric heater" engaged?

It could be that the ACC location of the key slot is normal operation and I just never paid attention to that.. but seems to me that it should turn all the way back to lock, when turning the vehicle off and removing key... ?

FJ40Jim Thanks! Yes sir that did the trick. Such a simple thing, I completely overlooked that. This is my first Land Cruiser, so I am learning as I go. I appreciate the tip!

With that said, I suppose that rules out the key slot being the culprit of the hot electric choke. I am going to check the surface temp a little later and see if there is a difference. Will report back.

Thanks again gentlemen.

It was definitely the key being in the ACC location, that was causing the drain and the bimetallic coil to heat up, and stay engaged! Once I put the key in LOCK, everything cooled down. I can't believe I overlooked that simple black button..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom