Accelerator Cable Maintenance?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My '92 3FE is sticky in the gas pedal and not in a good way. I've searched high and low for a replacement cable, but can't find an OEM or aftermarket replacement. Sheathing on the cable above the engine has deteriorated and PO spent lots of time on gravel roads such that the level of dust everywhere is amazing. I assume the cable has a fair amount of dirt, etc... restricting its movement. I'm thinking about cutting back the sheathing on the accel cable, lubing the entirety of the cable assembly and re-wrapping the sheathed area with high temp electrical tape. Anyone attempted or have suggestions? Thanks.

I've read that some guys disconnect one end of the cable and then hang it up high (from an open hood or the like), then drip lubricant between the wound metal sheathing (not the wrapper) and the cable itself and let gravity work it down the length of the cable.

Kind of what I'm thinking about doing. I also saw a cable lube gizmo on Amazon that looked interesting. Anyone tried this and found success?

@jonheld has probably done something on this in his past.

Not sure on availability.

Baja Mickey I've got a few ideas if you can't get a new or used accelerator cable. When i use to ride motorcycles lubing the throttle and clutch cables was a common job. Most any motorcycle shop should be able to set you up with the tool and lube to lube you're cable.

As far as a new cable goes, if you can't get a factory one you might try a boat shop. I know that they have the tools to be able to make up different length replacement accelerator cables, not only for inboard motors, but also outboard motors, so they may be able to make you something that might work.

@Rifleman Great suggestion, check out this video:

Rifleman - Great idea! I'll check into that. Also, the lube gizmo may be the best $10 I've ever spent. Thanks for the ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom