Acceleration issue (video) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is on a 93 1fz.

When acceleratingy vehicle does the following.

In the video I am applying constant pressure on the gas pedal, I'm not lifting my foot up or anything.

It only does this if you give it medium to wide open acceleration. If you just go easy on the gas it won't do it and will accerlate all the way to highway speeds no issue.

I recently replaced the spark plugs with plugs from toyota. All gaps were checked at .032 and all installed to 14lbs.

I am assuming this is a misfire on a cylinder or a plug not working correctly? Just want to double-check with you guys if there is anything else I should check before I pull all the plugs again or put the old ones back in.

Make sure you installed the wires in the correct firing order. You probably removed and installed one at a time to avoid confusing them, right?

Make sure you installed the wires in the correct firing order. You probably removed and installed one at a time to avoid confusing them, right?
They are in the correct order and double checked. They were removed all at once with the whole diz cap but the diz is numbered and the wires are numbered and each as long as the plug position it goes too.

Small update. I haven't confirmed but I believe its my TPS. I found some threads with the same videos as mine and their problem was resolved by replacing the TPS. I wont be able to really get into mine till next weekend but will update thread if that ends up being the problem for the next guy. Only thing I can think of is maybe I damaged mine or its wiring when pulling the air intake hose off.

Mine did similar when I got water into a connector for part of the EFI system after a degrease and hose out off the engine bay.
I never found out which connector. Mine was left to dry out for a few days, and was good to go once dry

Small update. I haven't confirmed but I believe its my TPS. I found some threads with the same videos as mine and their problem was resolved by replacing the TPS. I wont be able to really get into mine till next weekend but will update thread if that ends up being the problem for the next guy. Only thing I can think of is maybe I damaged mine or its wiring when pulling the air intake hose off.
I'm experiencing the same thing which has been occurring for the last month or so. My first question is, what is a TPS, and secondly, have you made any progress on this for any updates? As I was reading your description, I was like....damn, couldn't have described my own issue better.

Throttle Position Sensor. If you have a 93-97 FZJ80 it should be Toyota part number 89452-22090

Throttle Position Sensor TPS image.jpg

Throttle Body diagram 1FZFE red arrow.png

Last edited:
I'm experiencing the same thing which has been occurring for the last month or so. My first question is, what is a TPS, and secondly, have you made any progress on this for any updates? As I was reading your description, I was like....damn, couldn't have described my own issue better.

Yes it was my TPS. I ended up not needing to replace it though. I marked its location and removed it to see if it was gunked up or if was stuck or something. It wasn't so I put it back on and it decided to work after that.

hello folks,

it looks like i'm facing the same problem as posted here with the TPS with the exception that the engine seems to be running normally, a little weak though. Yesterday, I got a P0510 code and it looks like the TPS is stuck on the "off" position.

After checking the TPS itself i'm almost sure that it was never replaced so I'm getting a new one.

That said, any recommendations about the right procedure to replace it?

hello folks,

it looks like i'm facing the same problem as posted here with the TPS with the exception that the engine seems to be running normally, a little weak though. Yesterday, I got a P0510 code and it looks like the TPS is stuck on the "off" position.

After checking the TPS itself i'm almost sure that it was never replaced so I'm getting a new one.

That said, any recommendations about the right procedure to replace it?
Yes.

Follow the FSM. Available above in the "Resources" section.

Hey @BILT4ME,

Thanks for pointing that out. I have the FSM here and after checking all the info, there is nothing mentioning the position/angle that the TPS should be installed. Is it ok if it's installed on the same position as the current one installed or are there any recommendations regarding how to match the flaps inside the TPS with the other side?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom