AC troubleshooting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is my very first time messing with the AC so I need some second opinions. AC is not cooling like it should as the temp goes up. When connect up the gauges my static readings are 50 on the low side and 50 on the high side. However, when I run the AC low drops to ZERO and the high side goes up to 100. Which are both low. My assumption is that I have a freon leak somewhere and I suspect its the in the line that goes to the rear AC. I have added dye and have been unable to find any leak so far. However, from what I have read on MUD the rear AC line is covered in several parts so I need to inspect further to confirm my initial assumption. Do those readings indicate my initial thought or am I way off? Thanks

Sounds more like a restriction to me.

I have been trying to research on how to pinpoint restriction if that is indeed the case. I have seen some conflicting info. Is the best way for me to use a temperature gun and try to find drastic temperature differences indicating a blockage? Sorry if thats a dumb question, this it the very first time I have messed with the AC before.

Following with interest - mine isn't blowing cold either. I replaced both the rear lines (cost about $1000!) two years ago. The shop that recharged the system last time also added a green dye to the system. The only place I see them leaking from at a spot where lines connect to the condenser.

I have been trying to research on how to pinpoint restriction if that is indeed the case. I have seen some conflicting info. Is the best way for me to use a temperature gun and try to find drastic temperature differences indicating a blockage? Sorry if thats a dumb question, this it the very first time I have messed with the AC before.

Not a 'dumb' question at all. It is 'possible' to locate disparities in temperature with an IR gun, but generally restrictions (as evidenced by building high side pressure and sub-normal low side pressure) will be found at the TXV (sometimes in the condenser). But without specialized equipment (to read the Superheat and Subcooling) it is difficult to nail it down to the TXV.

Blockage at the condenser CAN be revealed with an IR gun but recognize the temps would need to be widely apart to be meaningful. Finding and addressing a possible restriction is not something I would recommend the average DIYer pursue.

Might be better to let a professional shop have a look at it. They will have (or should have) the equipment to locate the problem pretty quickly. Then....it is up to you to decide to the work yourself or let them do it.

Following with interest - mine isn't blowing cold either. I replaced both the rear lines (cost about $1000!) two years ago. The shop that recharged the system last time also added a green dye to the system. The only place I see them leaking from at a spot where lines connect to the condenser.

Your's sounds very much like 'leakage' (low on refrigerant). IF so...then topping off (recharging) could solve your problem short term. Another place that leaks occur (but don't often show) is at the evaporator. Since it is 'housed' you can't readily see the dye. However, dye from an evaporator leak will sometimes appear at the condensation port on your firewall (where the water drips out).

Okay back to report for a partial update. I took my LX to the AC shop and they said that the issue is definitely not a restriction of any kind. My freon was low. I previously added dye to the system, but they added additional dye just to make sure. At this point, they are unable to find a leak anywhere in the system. As of right now its blowing ice cold, but I am assuming the freon all leak out. So they just told me to drive around with the AC on as much as possible and to bring it back if I can tell its loosing freon. I pointed out to them that my initial gut feeling was there was a leak in the rear line, but they could not find any evidence of this. Guess we will see what happens. I will make sure to report back.

Okay back to report for a partial update. I took my LX to the AC shop and they said that the issue is definitely not a restriction of any kind. My freon was low. I previously added dye to the system, but they added additional dye just to make sure. At this point, they are unable to find a leak anywhere in the system. As of right now its blowing ice cold, but I am assuming the freon all leak out. So they just told me to drive around with the AC on as much as possible and to bring it back if I can tell its loosing freon. I pointed out to them that my initial gut feeling was there was a leak in the rear line, but they could not find any evidence of this. Guess we will see what happens. I will make sure to report back.

Thanks for the follow up. You definitely have a leak somewhere. Refrigerants are not 'consumables' (like engine oil), so the only way for the system to lose a charge is by leakage. How 'bad' it leaks (and where) is the only question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom