AC Troubleshooting Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This weekend I did the Pre '03 Nav Delete, went wire by wire and after 7 hours, everything works, well works as it should with the exception of the AC button won't keep the clutch engaged on the compressor. When I turn it on, clutch engages for 2 or 3 seconds and then releases. Air gets colder, I've never had any issues with my AC before this change. I will run to the parts store and get a recharge kit with a gauge to see if it's low but I'd be surprised if that was the issue.

+Triggering the AC Mag Clutch manually, works engine on/off (air gets much colder instantly)
+All Fuses and Relays associated, all ok, and working
+My new connection from B14 (Blue Wire) to relay signal, connection was good from new plug
+Hard to get to the low pressure switch with my 4x4labs bumper to test - triggering the plug with my power probe kicked on the condenser fan but I can't really get up into the plug to test, maybe make some leads? or other method??

Could this be a faulty control in the new LC AC controls? Bought from Ebay 3 years ago, no clue how long it had been setting before that. Maybe take apart and clean?

I have a new Rhino Radio coming, that I'm hoping this simply resolves the issue. I poked and tested quite a bit yesterday but don't really know too much about AC or Electrical stuff other than hooking it up. Any other simple checks that I'm missing?

Are you saying the A/C button pops back out or the compressor clutch simply disengages?

Are you saying the A/C button pops back out or the compressor clutch simply disengages?

Set everything to auto full cold, AC light turns on, clutch enguaged then disengages and AC light blinks. Push again and goes solid, same thing for two seconds and back off, blinking.

If I trigger it (mag compressor clutch) with the Power Probe, engages and stays engaged. So it seems something is not letting the control unit keep it going. Running to O'Reillys (with mask)

Last edited:
It's a tad cool today 50Deg F. Readings seem ok to me but not an expert. Rented guages from O'Reilly's, took me longer to put the dumb hoses back in the box that it took to pull the pressures lol.

I am feeling certain it's something in the swapped in LC control, since everything else works as it should. I'll recheck all my connections and under the hood again.

IMG_20200413_175640.jpg

Rhino Radio came in, but it uses the same AC Controller ECU board from the stock control, so if it's bad then it won't fix. Is there a separate ECU for this control or is it built into the dash control module?

There doesn't seem to be a system test mode for the older models, there was nothing in TechStream for HVAC issues, which I think the newer ones do. I have definitely exhausted things I can think of.

After doing the NAV delete, I'm wondering if I'm simply missing one wire that isn't allowing the system to work properly, everything else is working correctly. Testing all of the components, they seem to be working, pressure looks ok? What else?

Found this, will run this afternoon. Hopefully i can resolve my self and this will help someone else lol. I guess i'm rusty at inter-netting

Do you have the FSM that has the AC troubleshooting steps? I can send photos if needed but there is a process you walk through that will isolate the problem. Did you triple check your grounds when doing the swap?

Do you have the FSM that has the AC troubleshooting steps? I can send photos if needed but there is a process you walk through that will isolate the problem. Did you triple check your grounds when doing the swap?
Trouble shooting guide is the the above thread, I'll run through it and check all my connections again and report back. Thanks!

Ran Diagnostic got the code for the Solar Sensor, which just happened to be one of the wires I thought I might have hooked up wrong so i swapped it with the other black/yellow wire, and the code changed so, I had them correct. So it seems I need to replace the solar sensor? I've never had an issue, but maybe I fried it when I was wiring up the new control unit?

Made new connections on both wires JIC the original were bad and still the same. I also read that the solar sensor would run ok in manual and out of auto but mine isn't doing that.

Anyone replaced this thing?

Last edited:
This thread has me wanting to try the new Rhino Radio unit, which would replace the buttons.

When I did the LX Nav to Non-Nav re-wire, I missed one wire... There are two for the Mag Clutch. I ran through all the plugs, starting with the un-connected and lo-and-behold, there it was. Connected and all works perfect! Doh.

Congrats! Great perseverance.

Congrats! Great perseverance.

Thanks! I wish I would have started with re-checking the wire connections but honestly I was over it lol. I literally decided to take the entire control apart and clean it, test all the switches etc, before I dug back into that mess of wires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom