Ac system, any non expensive options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thank you!! I found this kit, I'll just need someone to fabricate the compressor mount, what do you think?
Sanden is a popular, widely used and copied manufacturer of compressor. in your kit the compressor is a copy "508 style". 508 is a model. Don't mean to bad mouth copies as I am trying one.

The compressor in the kit is has a two "A" groove pulley. Think you are after a single groove "B" pulley. "A" and "B" are belt width designations "A" being 1/2"and "B" 5/8". You need to check your crank pulley groove width to make sure what you have and to confirm I am right. My 79 2F is a "B"

Condenser in the kit is 20 " tall by 14" wide. if your radiator is the same as my 79 than you want a 14" tall by 20" wide.

Also the fittings in the kit will require a hose crimping tool.

Sanden is a popular, widely used and copied manufacturer of compressor. in your kit the compressor is a copy "508 style". 508 is a model. Don't mean to bad mouth copies as I am trying one.

The compressor in the kit is has a two "A" groove pulley. Think you are after a single groove "B" pulley. "A" and "B" are belt width designations "A" being 1/2"and "B" 5/8". You need to check your crank pulley groove width to make sure what you have and to confirm I am right. My 79 2F is a "B"

Condenser in the kit is 20 " tall by 14" wide. if your radiator is the same as my 79 than you want a 14" tall by 20" wide.

Also the fittings in the kit will require a hose crimping tool.
Wow, thanks for the detailed explanation! I'll check all these things!

456z is correct in that the FJ40 uses wider drive belts than a typical car, (Gates is a drive belt supplier and they refer to these belts as "green stripe bus belts" ) Green Stripe® V Belt | Gates Unitta - http://gatesunitta.com/en/green-stripe%C2%AE-v-belt , so you will need a compressor that has a single V-groove belt of approx. 17mm in width or the belt will not fit down into the groove of the compressor. Talk to your kit supplier and specify the pulley with 17mm groove (which is probably the "B " size that 456z is referring to.)
Doug

456z is correct in that the FJ40 uses wider drive belts than a typical car, (Gates is a drive belt supplier and they refer to these belts as "green stripe bus belts" ) Green Stripe® V Belt | Gates Unitta - http://gatesunitta.com/en/green-stripe%C2%AE-v-belt , so you will need a compressor that has a single V-groove belt of approx. 17mm in width or the belt will not fit down into the groove of the compressor. Talk to your kit supplier and specify the pulley with 17mm groove (which is probably the "B " size that 456z is referring to.)
Doug
Amazing, thanks! I think I have all the infos now 💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻

You're welcome. Be aware that the Vintage Air compressor bracket bolts to the passenger side of the block and relocates the alternator to hang just below the compressor, so that both the compressor and the alternator are on the V-A bracket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom