AC safety question.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
is there a way to see if the ac components are "full" or "charged"?

my engine compartment looks like a grease bomb went off in there and I am in the process of cleaning and diagnosing all of the evergrowing list of "issues". next are the AC components. can I take everything off then have a garage service it once is all back together? Or, should I have them take it apart for me too? with the bad chemicals an all.

thanks for the help!

It is illegal for you to dismantle the A/C unless you KNOW it's discharged. There are substantial fines if your neighbors report you.

that is my question. how can I tell if it is charged or discharged? and if it is charged, what is the easiest/cheapest way to discharge?

Open one of the schrader valve caps and WITH A SCREWDRIVER push the valve down for a second. If you let out gas, it's charged, if nothing at all comes out then it's basically discharged. DON'T use your finger to push down the valve, unless you like to experience frostbite!!
Be VERY careful!!

Does the AC work at all?

If the Compressor clicks on at all then there's a pretty good charge in there

I don't ever mess with AC. I have it done by a professional.

find the high pressure hose coming off the compressor going to the drier. If it's hard, you can't make a dent in it, then it's under pressure. If you can squeeze it and feel it give, it's under *less* pressure, not necessarily discharged.

You can also get AC pressure gauges at Sears.

Fred

the compressor never ran for me.

I want to get that thing out of there so I can address other issues behind it. plus, it needs a good cleaning. then, I want to take all of the A/C parts in for a pro diagnosis before I put it all back in. does that seem like a good plan?

or should I just work around it until I get the motor running tip-top? (more of a concern at this point than AC)

all AC hoses are rock hard! I guess that answers the question.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom