AC/rpm (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
84 FJ60 2F w/ AC: When I push my AC button in to turn on the AC the engine revs instantly at very high rpms. Not the usual increase for compensation, but about 3200 rpms!! ???Believe it or not, but I was using it yesterday in texas, turned the vehicle off, went in the house, came back 30 min later and the problem began. It was working fine, and all of sudden it does this reving thing. Any suggestions on the cause? Luckily I probably won't have to use it for a couple more weeks.

:cheers:
BENJI

A/C idle up is governed by the amplifier located in a box on the evaporator up under the glove box. Turn the blue knob on the amplifier and see if you can make it slow down. If you find your's is hooped or even if you want a spare, I have one for an FJ60 left over when I put A/C in my BJ60 (the BJ uses a different amplifier than the FJ). $10 + shipping and it's yours. It came from an Alaskan truck so it'll have very little use. PM me if interested.

also check the AC idle up on the front of the carb(its the only screw there is on the front side) the AC uses vacuume to pull the idle up.

But it could be the AC amp that was mentioned

I actaully have my 82 fj40 without AC set up to use the AC idle up(I have a fj60 carb) as a hand throttle, just flip a switch and the RPMS go up to where I set the screw. Slick deal, used a brand new Celica selnoid($17)

Thank you guys. I have been out of town and just got the replys. I will try these options as soon as I can. Landpimp, is the front side of the carb, the side facing the grill? I will try both options here in a couple of hours. Cruiser_guy if this is the problem I might take you up on your offer.
Benji

yep, facing the grill

[quote author=Benji link=board=1;threadid=11827;start=msg108907#msg108907 date=1077547982]
Thank you guys. I have been out of town and just got the replys. I will try these options as soon as I can. Landpimp, is the front side of the carb, the side facing the grill? I will try both options here in a couple of hours. Cruiser_guy if this is the problem I might take you up on your offer.
Benji
[/quote]

Hey Landpimp. The only screw I know about on the front of the carb is the idle adjustment screw and one in the back for the choke idle? Is this correct. I don't know which one controls the AC idle. The blue knob on the amplifier turns, but does not change the idle speed. I disconnected the wiring harness from it and the AC did not engage at all. Could this be my problem? I am not too familiar with AC, it's my first vehicle with it!
P.S. If I need your part cruiser_guy, I'll surely love to get it from you.

there are 4 screw on a 60 carb, the one facing the front(grill) of the cruiser is the AC screw(it is NOT the idle screw) its the only screw on that side, you will see a rod going to it from the AC diaprahm. On the firewall side there are 2 screws, idle speed(close to the carb body) and choke fast idle(this is the one closest to the firewall) and the mixture screw which is on the motor side of the carb(it may be caped off)

to adjust the idle speed with the AC on adjust the screw on grill/front side, it effects ONLY the AC idle speed when AC is on. Often is this is not adjusted correctly the idle speed when will jump up and down.

John

[quote author=Benji link=board=1;threadid=11827;start=msg108973#msg108973 date=1077555076]
Hey Landpimp. The only screw I know about on the front of the carb is the idle adjustment screw and one in the back for the choke idle? Is this correct. I don't know which one controls the AC idle. The blue knob on the amplifier turns, but does not change the idle speed. I disconnected the wiring harness from it and the AC did not engage at all. Could this be my problem? I am not too familiar with AC, it's my first vehicle with it!
P.S. If I need your part cruiser_guy, I'll surely love to get it from you.
[/quote]

[quote author=Landpimp link=board=1;threadid=11827;start=msg108985#msg108985 date=1077556449]
there are 4 screw on a 60 carb, the one facing the front(grill) of the cruiser is the AC screw(it is NOT the idle screw) its the only screw on that side, you will see a rod going to it from the AC diaprahm. On the firewall side there are 2 screws, idle speed(close to the carb body) and choke fast idle(this is the one closest to the firewall) and the mixture screw which is on the motor side of the carb(it may be caped off)

to adjust the idle speed with the AC on adjust the screw on grill/front side, it effects ONLY the AC idle speed when AC is on. Often is this is not adjusted correctly the idle speed when will jump up and down.

John
[/quote]

LP, so the idle screw on the carb facing the grill is not the idle adjust ment screw but the AC idle adjustment screw? I thought that was the idle adjustment screw and ever since i set that screw the idle'ing on my 60 has been perfect. Even when i turn my AC on the idle'ing doesn't change a bit. So the screw that i thought was the idle adjustment wasn't? If it wasn't how come it fixed my bad idle'ing problem?

unless you got your carb on backwards, no that is not the idle adjustement......I promise you this. I have no idea why it fixed your idle however.

On my 82 fj40 I used a fj60 carb(same carb except the 60 carb as the AC stuff) I ran a selnoid(with vacuume line) to it, so it acts like a hand throttle. So what I am saying is unless you have AC this this screw does nothing.

If I had my FSM's at work I would show you......but I don't.

John H

[quote author=BigSur link=board=1;threadid=11827;start=msg109027#msg109027 date=1077559604]
LP, so the idle screw on the carb facing the grill is not the idle adjust ment screw but the AC idle adjustment screw? I thought that was the idle adjustment screw and ever since i set that screw the idle'ing on my 60 has been perfect. Even when i turn my AC on the idle'ing doesn't change a bit. So the screw that i thought was the idle adjustment wasn't? If it wasn't how come it fixed my bad idle'ing problem?
[/quote]

[quote author=Landpimp link=board=1;threadid=11827;start=msg109040#msg109040 date=1077561282]
unless you got your carb on backwards, no that is not the idle adjustement......I promise you this. I have no idea why it fixed your idle however.

On my 82 fj40 I used a fj60 carb(same carb except the 60 carb as the AC stuff) I ran a selnoid(with vacuume line) to it, so it acts like a hand throttle. So what I am saying is unless you have AC this this screw does nothing.

If I had my FSM's at work I would show you......but I don't.

John H
[/quote]

My carb has never been away from her original purch so i know she isn't on sideways or anything. AC adjustmen screw or not...it fixed my idling problem i had. I even helped a buddy with his idling problem and we adjusted the same screw an i did and his idling problem was solved. So i guess i am at a lose on this one.

if the AC screw is adjusted correctly when the AC is on the RPMs should go up a bit(to whatever you set the screw to, 200rpm or so above normal idle speed) its ment to bump the idle UP when the AC is on.

I know you say it fixed your problem, but what I would do would go to back the AC screw off. The go to the actaully idle speed screw(on firewall side of carb, close to carb body) and adjust the idle there, then go back and turn on the AC and adjust the AC screw..............but thats just me ;)

John H

[quote author=BigSur link=board=1;threadid=11827;start=msg109070#msg109070 date=1077563163]
My carb has never been away from her original purch so i know she isn't on sideways or anything. AC adjustmen screw or not...it fixed my idling problem i had. I even helped a buddy with his idling problem and we adjusted the same screw an i did and his idling problem was solved. So i guess i am at a lose on this one.
[/quote]

[quote author=Landpimp link=board=1;threadid=11827;start=msg109075#msg109075 date=1077563770]
if the AC screw is adjusted correctly when the AC is on the RPMs should go up a bit(to whatever you set the screw to, 200rpm or so above normal idle speed) its ment to bump the idle UP when the AC is on.

I know you say it fixed your problem, but what I would do would go to back the AC screw off. The go to the actaully idle speed screw(on firewall side of carb, close to carb body) and adjust the idle there, then go back and turn on the AC and adjust the AC screw..............but thats just me ;)

John H
[/quote]

Well i think i will go and try that. back out the AC screw and try and adjust with the proper screws.

But why would it fix my idling problem if that wasn't the adjustment screw?

the only 2 screws you want to mess with now are the AC at the front side of the carb and the idle speed on the backside. YOu will also see the fast idle speed screw(for choke) this is the screw closest to the firewall and closest to the head of the motor.......don't mess with that one

here is a pic
coolfj40_1777_3969539

the screw on the far right is the fast idle speed, the one closer to the carb is the idle speed(this is the one you want) its kinda hard to see on the pic but its just to the right of the bottom gold diaphram.

John H

[quote author=BigSur link=board=1;threadid=11827;start=msg109081#msg109081 date=1077564173]
Well i think i will go and try that. back out the AC screw and try and adjust with the proper screws.

But why would it fix my idling problem if that wasn't the adjustment screw?
[/quote]

[quote author=Landpimp link=board=1;threadid=11827;start=msg109122#msg109122 date=1077568902]
the only 2 screws you want to mess with now are the AC at the front side of the carb and the idle speed on the backside. YOu will also see the fast idle speed screw(for choke) this is the screw closest to the firewall and closest to the head of the motor.......don't mess with that one

here is a pic
coolfj40_1777_3969539

the screw on the far right is the fast idle speed, the one closer to the carb is the idle speed(this is the one you want) its kinda hard to see on the pic but its just to the right of the bottom gold diaphram.

John H
[/quote]

Well the one i adjusted was the far right one and that screw helped my Idling problem.

that screw is the fast idle and it should only effect the idle when the choke is out, which make me think you got something going on.........not sure what.

but I thought you said you adjusted the AC screw on the front screw(on the grill side) ???

so what I would do is back off the fast idle screw. set the idle speed with the idle speed screw(closest to carb body) Adjust the AC screw(with AC on) When you have done that go back and pull the choke out(prolly need to do it when cold) and set the fast idle speed(with choke pulled out) to 1800rpms(that what I recall of the top of my head)

[quote author=Landpimp link=board=1;threadid=11827;start=msg109132#msg109132 date=1077571438]
that screw is the fast idle and it should only effect the idle when the choke is out, which make me think you got something going on.........not sure what.

but I thought you said you adjusted the AC screw on the front screw(on the grill side) ???

so what I would do is back off the fast idle screw. set the idle speed with the idle speed screw(closest to carb body) Adjust the AC screw(with AC on) When you have done that go back and pull the choke out(prolly need to do it when cold) and set the fast idle speed(with choke pulled out) to 1800rpms(that what I recall of the top of my head)
[/quote]

Well crap! I am afraid to mess with any idle screw due to the fact she is running so good. I need to head out to the garage and take a good look to see where everything is before i mess/or not it up.

LOL..........I would prolly leave it alone as well ;)

but what was it doing in the 1st place that made you mess with the idle(or what you thought was the idle ;)

John H

[quote author=BigSur link=board=1;threadid=11827;start=msg109136#msg109136 date=1077572089]
Well crap! I am afraid to mess with any idle screw due to the fact she is running so good. I need to head out to the garage and take a good look to see where everything is before i mess/or not it up.
[/quote]

Landpimp, Is the red markin the fast idle and the green the regular idle? If so, you guys have solved many of my problems. If not, could you please mark the proper areas for us illiterate carb people.
Benji

Yep you got it! :)

[quote author=Benji link=board=1;threadid=11827;start=msg109153#msg109153 date=1077573832]
Landpimp, Is the red markin the fast idle and the green the regular idle? If so, you guys have solved many of my problems. If not, could you please mark the proper areas for us illiterate carb people.
Benji
[/quote]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom