AC repair-Where to start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Please don't kill the newbie as I've been searching for the right thread for advice but where should I start w/ identifying the failed parts for AC. The mrs. and boys will certainly appreciate the proactive thinking to repair in springtime. How do I rule out if it's the condenser, evaporator, fan clutch, etc? She's a 96 FZJ80 w/ about 159k-the ac was no func. when I got it but never got it tested to id the problem before I took it. I don't like going willy nilly replacing things that might be good. Really would appreciate some guidance or at least pointing to the best thread on this before I go cross-eyed looking-powdahbonz

How do I rule out if it's the condenser, evaporator, fan clutch, etc?Really would appreciate some guidance or at least pointing to the best thread on this before I go cross-eyed looking-powdahbonz

1. Decide if you are up for doing repairs. If so, buy a Toyota Factory Service Manual from a dealer, eBay or Toyota Publications.

2. Either buy a manifold set to do it yourself or take it to a shop and have someone put gauges on it. Nice thing about AC system, gauges generally point to a specific fault. All AC diagnostics start with establishing whether or not there is enough refrigerant in the system.

3. If you pick the "right" independent shop they will diagnose for you and if you tell them you want to do the repairs, some shops will capture the 134 and recharge for you after your repairs.

That's a start.

Push one of the schrader valves on the compressor to see if it has a charge. It probably won't shoot anything out, so you know it has no charge and has a leak. You might want to invest in the 10-15 bucks it costs to put some dye and refrigerant into the system to find the leak and go from there. BUT if you know what you are looking for, you can usually find leaks with out that stuff. Oily residue will usally surround the culprit. A couple ounces of oil/dye and 1 pound of refrigerant will be more than enough for the low pressure switch to allow the compressor to engage. If the leak is confined to the cabin, it's most likely your evaporator, and that is time and money my friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom