AC removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I hate my AC and it has never really worked. Its cold in Wisconsin and with the coming ice age it is only going to get cooler. I am thinking of removing it and wonder if it is possible. Have a 92 cruiser with a 3FE. Has anyone done this?

First post so :flipoff2: to all you lifers. Thanks for the FAQ and all the work involved in it. It made the most horrible front end rebuild ever a little easier.
Thanks for the parts CDAN, they were about -7 degrees when i got them though. Next time please send them warmed up a bit.

Of course it's possible.

What's your goal? More room in the engine bay, or...?

If you just want to take it out of the loop, simply remove or cut the A/C belt.

Welcome,

Curtis

it is possible, i have turned mine into an onboard air compressor, then it went out shortly after. But yes, it can be done. Just try to find a way to keep the pulley there, i just swapped mine out for a buddies a/c compressor. Just have your local repair shop recover the r134A and you'll be set to go.

Lots of reasons for removing it. I never use it, it doesn't work, its in the way and without it everything else would be easier to see/clean/maintain/fix. Its only got 300,000 miles on it and every thing that can leak leaks. I thought these things were durable and known for longevity?

I've put the last 170k on it, and have never done anything to it besides oil change/tune up untill recently. This spring going to fix the rear main, oil pan, valve cover, and all other leaks. Sick of it messing up the garage floor. The water pump has been slowly dripping the last few months so I'll have to do that soon.

I'm a minimalist and if i don't use it its in the way. Besides, the engine will probably blow in a few more hundred thousand miles and it will be one more thing to deal with when i have to swap.

Something about these two sentences doesn't sound right:

"300,000 miles on it and every thing that can leak leaks. I thought these things were durable and known for longevity?"

"and have never done anything to it besides oil change/tune up untill recently"

I agree r5. Is he complaining? I love my cruiser and she KNOWS if I am unhappy, I do what I must to keep her happy- please correct me if I am wrong but it's a relationship- right?? LOL

My wifes 91 has been a good one,260,000 plus miles.A.C. works. Mike

it is possible, i have turned mine into an onboard air compressor, then it went out shortly after. But yes, it can be done. Just try to find a way to keep the pulley there, i just swapped mine out for a buddies a/c compressor. Just have your local repair shop recover the r134A and you'll be set to go.

Dude, you intentionally disabled your a/c? In Irondale? Are you crazy?

Hey...whatever you want right?

But most likely you could do a simple o-ring change....super f-ing easy, to the orange ones, R134a friendly, put in a new receiver dryer, fill it with sufficient PAG oil and get an evac and recharge and have cold AC again. Why the hell not? You could probably get it all done for less than $150.

I used to drive cars W/O A/C...but now I would not even consider it! Even if I only used it twice a year, it's worth it not to sweat your arsh off on a hot summer day in traffic with ultra high humidity.

I have converted plenty Toyota R12 systems to R134a and never had to do anymore than o-rings, new receiver and PAG oil on each one of them.

Aww, please don't make me doubt myself SB, $150. And it runs too, just isn't cool.
But my mind is made up. The AC is like a gangrenous limb and its gotta go. Just want to make sure I won't get any error codes or screw the electronics up.
I sure hope my dog doesn't get sick anytime soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom