AC Refill Fj62 R12 or 134? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys,

My AC has always worked pretty well. Right now the magnetic clutch isn't engaging and after going through the FSM, most likely its because of not having enough oil in there which doesn't give it the pressure it likes to have. I can't see anything through the little sightglass.

- Should I ask a shop to change it to R-134?
- It seems its easy to source some R-12, if I go filling it up myself, what is involved in this process e.g. which tools?, do I fill the red or black valve?

Anyone experience with refilling the AC with a R-12 can from e-bay/craigslist?

Thanks!

r-134a will give decent results. r-12 is much colder and harder to find. flush your system. You might have a hard time finding an r12 dryer. R134a is more convenient, welcome to the rabbit hole of what to do with your AC.

R12 was phased out because it's an environmental disaster.

Why not do the right thing ?

I lived in Houston where the heat and humidity was equivalent to torture and R134 worked fine.
If it were me, switch and have a pro do it. Getting the high and low pressure sides done right is critical to good operstion.

Many people will say that about driving a 30 something year old, 10 miles to a gal vehicle, Oss. All these "environmental disasters" are mostly guilt buttons politicians push for more money from its gullible people in my opinion.

Thanks! Chaser FJ60

Thanks @EscapeWagon62
I just have no idea about AC's... like what's involved, how many banana job etc.
If it makes sense to have a professional just do it right, I'll definitely go that route

I'm in southern Utah mostly, does get hot.
Is the R-134 blowing cold enough for these kinda area?
If its properly pressure balanced it will work fine.
I also put ceramic UV tint (darn near invisible) on all windows including the windshield Since eventually I’m moving to Tucson. Im confident this setup will handle it.

Is the R-134 blowing cold enough for these kinda area?

Another R134a convert here. When properly charged my A/C works great keeping me cool in the Texas heat, even without any tint on the windows. While not as cold R12, its plenty good for me here. With R12 becoming harder to find expensive, not a bad time to get things going on the R134a. Fewer hassles come charge time. HTH.

As others have said, R134 works good albeit maybe not as good as R12. I got tired of tracking down R-12 as I was working on the system. Intrigued by the feedback on the ceramic tint. I tinted my windows and don't like the blacked out look. Sorry, off-topic.

Here was mine when I picked it up from the tint shop...they even put it on the windshield. Really cuts down on the radiant heat. Doesnt take that place to a good working AC but def helps.

FJ60Tint.JPG

Thanks alot guys, you talked me into making the switch.
I just soundproofed the 62 a bunch as well which should help with keeping the temp down when its hot out.

I have R134 in my 62 and when I redid the AC system I put in a parallel flow condenser. The added efficiency is a bonus and helps the R134a cool down much better. Just a thought when the time comes to replace the condenser. :)

Next big way to keep the cruiser cool is the window films, these rigs are greenhouses!

I have R134 in my 62 and when I redid the AC system I put in a parallel flow condenser. The added efficiency is a bonus and helps the R134a cool down much better. Just a thought when the time comes to replace the condenser. :)

Next big way to keep the cruiser cool is the window films, these rigs are greenhouses!
I'm looking to convert mine as well and interested in a parallel flow condenser, and anything else I can do to improve efficiency. The original R12 system is barely blowing cool so I figure it's time to change. What condenser did you go with @red66toy ? Any mounting modifications needed? Any other suggested improvements to get the most from the 134?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom