AC R12 Charging (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Two Buck

SILVER Star
Threads
I just recharged my system and I'm pretty sure I did a few things wrong. The scenario: I bought 3 cans of R12 + a can tap/charging hose and pressure gauge from a guy on Craigslist.

The gauge had readings for high and low side, so of course I had to try it on both before charging - because I like to fix stuff till it's broke. Both sides barely registered, and the low port schrader valve started hissing when I took the gauge off it. :censor: I tweaked it a few times until it stopped.

I then carried on with charging. I connected the gauge to the high pressure port, put the can tap on the can, the end of the hose to the low pressure port, and punctured the can. After a minute the AC compressor scared the s*** out of me by kicking on with a loud chirp, and the needle started moving on the gauge. All good so far.

Then I realized the charging hose was a pile of :poop:. It started leaking at the low port and at the can end -- basically at any and all fittings. I watched drops of unobtanium dribbling from the low port connection and drops and spray coming from the can side as the can iced over. :censor: I put gloves on so as not to get frostbite and carried on since there was no turning back with the can punctured.

Eventually most of the can went in and I checked the vents in the cab. It was blowing cooler but still not "cold," so I figured in for a penny, in for $30-a-can, and I repeated it all with a second can. This one leaked pretty much as badly as the first, but the pressure gauge got up to about 170 before it was through and I called it good.

Now it's blowing cold, right around 45 degrees, and I still have one can of R12 in reserve. Which I'm probably going to need because that damned low pressure schrader valve is still leaking a tiny little bit. :censor:

But hey, I'll have AC for the wife when I take her out in the rig tonight, so she'll be happy (I've told her I'm only doing the AC for her comfort) and more likely to not mind me spending more money on it.

So what is the issue? Buy a Schrader valve tool and see if it can be snug, what was your reading during the cycle? Did you adjust the belt? Did you add oil?

Killing the OZone layer with that leak LOL.

Do what @vipergrhg said and see if it will tighten up. Otherwise you will have to replace and recharge.

So what is the issue? Buy a Schrader valve tool and see if it can be snug, what was your reading during the cycle? Did you adjust the belt? Did you add oil?
Is it the same Schrader valve tool you'd use on your tires? Because I tried one and it was a hair too big to fit into fitting. I was going to try to tighten it but couldn't get it in there.

The cycle topped out around 170 -- it would climb up to that, then drop down to around 100 and start climbing again. I did not adjust the belt -- it seems to be working fine.

No oil added, but when I took the gauge off the high pressure fitting it farted out about 2 table spoons of oil as I was unscrewing it.

It is always a good idea to add at least 2 oz. of oil when you are recharging since some of it is remove or lost when evacuating or leaking.
How many ounces were in each can? From what I can remember it's 12 or 14 ounces. If you can't snug down the Schrader valve with a tool get a cap that have a rubber seal.

If you go to a Pro AC shop, they can change out the Schrader valve without losing any refrigerant. They have an expensive tool for that. ;)

If you go to a Pro AC shop, they can change out the Schrader valve without losing any refrigerant. They have an expensive tool for that. ;)
I found the tool on Amazon: $40. :banana:

In other news, I picked up a vent thermometer today. It’s blowing 40 degrees after the recharge. :clap:

NAPA sells quality A/C Schraeder valve tools. Most R-12 charging kits (from eBay) are crap and leak, and you just need to expect that and work with it. About the time you get stuff in place, something comes unscrewed and leaks. Wear safety glasses.

If you're getting 40F - stop! That's an excellent center-vent temp.

NAPA sells quality A/C Schraeder valve tools. Most R-12 charging kits (from eBay) are crap and leak, and you just need to expect that and work with it. About the time you get stuff in place, something comes unscrewed and leaks. Wear safety glasses.

I agree, i got my set from this seller texaserick | eBay

He rebuilds them and they do not leak and work as expected.

My wife was giving me a hard time about the glasses: "Why are you wearing safety glasses? You never wear your safety glasses." Yeah, well I wore them for this. :lol:

If you're getting 40F - stop! That's an excellent center-vent temp.
Yeah, I'm pretty happy where it's at. And I still have one can left over, so I'll hang on to that for the future. All I want to do now is replace the leaking schrader valve and I'll call it done.

Update: The "expensive pro AC shop tool" @Spike Strip mentioned came in the mail yesterday. It worked a treat -- I took the leaking valve out and popped in a new one in just about 2 minutes including time spent looking for a wrench to take the cap off the port because I had cranked it down too tight to get off by hand. Now, no more leak.

I'm officially checking AC off my to-do list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom