ac problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
my air conditioner is not blowing the air feels as if it is on the lowest one on high it still blows cold but not power behind it (could this be my compressor is out) how much is it to fix if so and if you know a place to get one that would help too. Texas heat and no A/C sucks :mad:

If its cold, the compressor is working. It sounds like the fan is either clogged up or spinning slowly. The fan is easy to pull - under the pass side dash. A clean and lube is worth a try.

i just went through this. turns out the evaporator was gummed up witht 20 years of crap, restricting air flow. it's pretty easy to pull, it's the box under the glove box, between the blower and the controls. you can check it by taking out the screws that hold the box together along with the clips and prying it open about an inch. look inside at the blower side of the coils with a flashlight to see if its your problem. if it's full of crap you'll have to dc the lines at the firewall to pull it out and clean it.

If the fan starts the intermitent running thing, then look at the fan (like if it's running slow, and you whap it with your hand or a mallet or something, and it picks up speed, it's the fan) The brushes were shot in mine and the stupid fan quit working. If the brushes aren't crapping out, the motor it's self fills up with this brown, fluffy crap - God only knows what it is - my old fan was full of it, and the used one I got as a replacement has some in it too. There's actually an exhaust port on the fan that connects to the side of it - looks like a ribbed rubber hose. Pull that and see what you can find.

I was able to get a used fan from cruiserparts.net for about $40, if your fan has cratered. If it's bad brushes only, and can't get a replacement, there's a good chance you can take it to an alt. or electric motor rebuilder and have them put new brushes in it. Very simple design that comes apart by pulling the two screws out of the motor end of the fan and popping the end off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom