AC Problem - Need Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First I want to apologize for the blurry cell phone pic and long story but I wanted to make sure I explain everything to eliminate as many questions as I could. This is a 93 LC.

Last Saturday I was driving to my Wedding Reception across the reservation where there is nothing around and I pushed the button on my dash to switch the AC air from the Face vents to the Bi-level vents and as soon as I pushed the button my Cruise Control started fluctuating, the Alternator, Oil, Brake and A/T Oil Temp lights all came on immediately.

From what I read this is a dangerous situation so I pulled off the road immediately and turned the rig off. I popped the hood and look under and nothing appeared to be overheated. Then I started thinking what all of these lights have in common which is nothing. Here I am late for my own Wedding reception thinking I am going to have to tow this thing home and call a taxi for a ride.

I climbed back in and turned the key on and the temp was normal so I started it. All the lights I mentioned before were still on and the AC was working. I sat on the side of the road watching the temp gauge that did not move. I figured if the tranny was overheated the temp would also rise and it did not. Dangerous as it was I put it in gear and started driving to the reception.

As I drove I kept watching the gauges and lights and the temp was fine and the AC worked fine. I made it to the reception 13 miles later in 83 degree weather with no problem. Went inside to celebrate the best time of my life.

After the reception I climbed in and started it up and no lights were on and I drove all the way home with no problem or warning lights on.

I did not drive it on Sunday but Monday morning I drove my out of town guests to breakfast with the AC on in the morning traffic on I-10 for 18 miles with no problems. After breakfast I took them to the airport for another 23 mile ride with AC on and temps in the 90's with no warning lights on. After they left I drove home again with no problems.

It was in the garage all week until Thursday night when I installed the adjustable panhard rod and front DS and did not drive it afterwards. Friday morning I drove it to work and there were no warnings lights on. I dropped off my wife and turned the AC on and drove to my work with no warnings lights. I got off work and the temps were in the mid 90's and as soon as I turned the AC on it was blowing hot which is strange because it is cold almost immediately. I figured it was just hot out and it will take a while but the cold air never started coming out. I picked up the wife and drove home with all the windows open (I wish the back window opened) and it never blew cold air and no warning lights were on. I waited until 9:00 pm and started it again and there was still no cold air blowing.

Any idea what Gremlins are in my rig causing these problems? It almost seems like separate problems with the warning lights and AC.
AT-Cooler.jpg

For whatever reason, Toyota chose that combination of lights (sometimes referred to here as the "Christmas tree) as the "no charge" warning. For more evidence, look at your voltage gauge; it's clearly too low. Your alternator is likely on its way out.

The A/C issue sounds unrelated to me.

THAT'S what the Christmas tree lights refer to. Cool, I have a Sequoia alternator and the brackets in the garage so it sounds like I need to get that going.

Now any ideas on the AC situation? While driving when I turn on the AC you can see the RPM change so it does come on, I was wondering if the thermal cut off switch went out and how can I check it. :hmm:

thermal cut off switch

I believe the thermal switch is working because your compressor is turning on. Are any of the lines out of the compressor cold?

if your compressor kicks on and stays on and you dont get cold air maybe it's something with the hot/cold lever you were talking about in the first post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom