AC on top? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1982 FJ60 that has the AC compressor on top, and alternator on bottom.
Were there some early 60s that came this way? I've never seen it before.
The bracket looks to be stock, but maybe it's just all the crud on it.

ac bracket.jpg

Last edited:
not stock, some 60 did not come with stock a/c. this is aftermarket.
you probably have a 2 groove crank pulley.
seen this several times now.

I have a stock '82 FJ40 engine (fully dressed with accessories) that I believe is set up that way. It's different than any other FJ60 configuration I have seen. IIRC, some early 60s had two different A/C locations from the factory (but I reserve the right to be wrong).

My 82' FJ60 had the same configuration. I believe it was a dealer installed A/C as was common in the early 80's. Alternator location would be low if A/C were not in the truck. They simply mounted the compressor on a bracket over it.

About 10 years ago the compressor went out and I changed the compressor and altermnator configuration to stock. I did this to get the A/C off the same belt as the alternator.

I am keenly interested in this because I have a 60 with no factory A/C and need to add it. Using that bracket would negate the need to install a 3 groove crank pulley. I am not too worried about having the alternator and A/C on the same belt.

The black flat steel bracket with the 8.8 bolt holding it on is a standard looking alternator hoop/crescent (with the adjustment bolt channel down the middle)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom